Subject: [openpgp] IESG conflict review check...

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:10:05 +0100

Hiya,

<background>

This is a boring process thing, feel free to ignore.

The IETF produces about 90% of all RFCs. The IRTF, IAB
and the independent submissions editor (ISE [1]) can
also produce non-IETF-stream RFCs. When the ISE figures
a document is almost ready to publish as an independent
submission stream RFC, they have to ask the IESG if their
publishing would cause any conflict with IETF work. That
process is documented in RFC 5742 [2].

Note that a "conflict" here means that the publication
of this would get in the way of the WG. If you have any
other comments on the document please send those to the
ISE and author(s).

</background>

The IESG has been asked to do a 5742 conflict review [3]
of a document that describes an application of PGP so
I thought I'd check here.

So the question is if the WG think there is any conflict
between this specification [4] and the work of this WG.

IMO the answer is no (having quickly scanned the document).

Please let me know if I'm wrong. Silence is a fine
non-answer here if I'm not wrong.

Thanks,
S.

[1] https://rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5742
[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/conflict-review-davin-eesst/
[4] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-davin-eesst/

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:56:52 +0200

> IMO the answer is no (having quickly scanned the document).

i also agree that the answer is "no" -- I do not think this spec
conflicts with the work of the WG.  It's basically saying "use OpenPGP
to sign and/or encrypt the transcript before sending, with a specific
mime structure".  we're not aiming to get in the way of that.

> [4] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-davin-eesst/

the ascii art here is kind of "wow".

    --dkg

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:16:49 -0400

Hi,

I was asked by the ISE to review this document (which I did) so I'm
fairly familiar with the content.

IMHO this document does not conflict with any current or potentially
future work of this working group, however it could definitely *use* the
output currently on the table and currently planned.

-derek

Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]> writes:

> _______________________________________________
> openpgp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/openpgp
>
>

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: "Christopher LILJENSTOLPE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 16:23:44 -0700

Greetings,

	I agree with you, on both points...

	Christopher

-- 
李柯睿
Avt tace, avt loqvere meliora silentio
Check my PGP key here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.asc
Current vCard here: http://www.asgaard.org/cdl/cdl.vcf
keybase: https://keybase.io/liljenstolpe