Subject: Re: [openpgp] Chunked OpenPGP streams

From: Forler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 12:50:05 +0100

On 30.12.2015 at 14:01 Nils Durner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I wonder if chunked streams could make their way to RFC4880bis instead.
> > The verification mechanism (MDC or data signature) would be added to
> > each chunk using the intermediate hash value,
>
> I think this goes in the same direction that OAED or online
> authenticating cipher modes are being considered for - see the recording
> of the last IETF meeting at
> http://recs.conf.meetecho.com/Playout/watch.jsp?recording=IETF94_OPENPGP&chapter=chapter_1
>
> Regarding the potential use of online authenticating cipher modes, it
> was discussed during that meeting that there is *some* research on modes
> that *might* be usable with PGP. If anyone can share papers (or
> references), I would appreciate it.

Disclaimer: I am a co-author of the POET submission, and therefore my
suggestions might be biased. :)

As far as I know, the PGP community want to verify the integrity of
individual ciphertext chunks. This goal can be achieved by OAEAD schemes
that support intermediate tags such as
* - ELmDv2  (*http://competitions.cr.yp.to/round2/elmdv20.pdf) or
 - POETv2.01 
(https://www.uni-weimar.de/fileadmin/user/fak/medien/professuren/Mediensicherheit/Research/Publications/poet_v2.01.pdf).

Best regards,
Christian