Subject: plug-out?

From: jfcm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:19:44 +0100

There seems to be some problems in trying to clearly conceptualize what is 
an OPES. And what is an ONES (open network extended service). I had a long 
private exchange on that (by my mistake in replying to the author only on 
Eudora, rather than sending to all).

I had to explain what is an OPES to developers today, and I came with the 
formula, it is a "plug-out". That is the same as a plug-in function, but on 
the network side as in totality or in part it can be on the network.

Would you agree with that? I do not know if is good English and very 
accurate. But people caught the concept immediately.
jfc

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:06:28 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, jfcm wrote:

> I had to explain what is an OPES to developers today, and I came
> with the formula, it is a "plug-out". That is the same as a plug-in
> function, but on the network side as in totality or in part it can
> be on the network.
>

To me, an OPES callout server is a plugin into OPES processor. OPES,
as a whole, is a proxy service, possibly a content modifying proxy
service. It may be viewed as a plugin into an application protocol
proxy, to a certain extent.

Alex.