Subject: RE: plug-out?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:25:52 -0500

The notion of "plug-out" does not seem to convey the key OPES concept
that an OPES entity operates on a data flow between a data provider and
a data consumer.

On the other hand, the concept (not sure about the English) perhaps
applies well in explaining Web Services?

Robin Chen   AT&T Labs - Research   [email-masked] 
--------------------------------------------------------
Room B259, 180 Park Avenue, Florham Park, NJ 07932-0971 
phone:(973)-360-8653  http://www.research.att.com/~chen

-----Original Message-----
From: jfcm [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 3:20 PM
To: OPES Group
Subject: plug-out?

There seems to be some problems in trying to clearly conceptualize what
is 
an OPES. And what is an ONES (open network extended service). I had a
long 
private exchange on that (by my mistake in replying to the author only
on 
Eudora, rather than sending to all).

I had to explain what is an OPES to developers today, and I came with
the 
formula, it is a "plug-out". That is the same as a plug-in function, but
on 
the network side as in totality or in part it can be on the network.

Would you agree with that? I do not know if is good English and very 
accurate. But people caught the concept immediately.
jfc