Subject: [Fwd: OCP transport vote, commitment]

From: Alberto Cerpa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:01:52 -0700

FYI.

-Al

Subject: Re: OCP transport vote, commitment
From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
To: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alberto Cerpa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:53:03 -0400

I agree with both your statements, I fully believe in the importance 
of running code - from early on. Question just is where to get the 
necessary resources from...

Let me also second Alex comment encouraging you to post to the list - 
I think the entire WG can benefit from your experience with ICAP and 
your thoughts on the process.

Thanks
   Markus

I agree with both

Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Alberto Cerpa wrote:
> 
> 
>>Since you guys are following this path, I would like to provide my 2
>>cents. Try to write a reference implementation at the same time that
>>you are writing the OCP/OCPTRAN draft, even if it takes more time.
>>Having running code is of invaluable help when trying to debug some
>>protocol issues in the draft. It will be worth it in the long run.
> 
> 
> I agree. I do not know whether there will be enough
> demand/interest/resources to write a reference OCP library, but we
> should definitely keep that in mind. As the first step, we need to
> agree on basic message structure and encoding principles, before we
> can start writing any code. I will try to post a rough draft ASAP to
> keep us moving.
> 
> Alex.
> 
> P.S. Please post to the list if possible.
> 
>

---

From: jfcm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:29:34 +0200

>I agree with both your statements, I fully believe in the importance of 
>running code - from early on. Question just is where to get the necessary 
>resources from...

I agree with Alberto. These are the same priorities. One goes faster in 
having models when one discusses theory, and running code when developping 
standards. This is the basics of cybernetics (improving efficiency through 
analogical thinking based upon models obtained from feed-back).

>Let me also second Alex comment encouraging you to post to the list - I 
>think the entire WG can benefit from your experience with ICAP and your 
>thoughts on the process.

To address this and the list problem, I would simply suggest that we turn 
the default respondto to the list. From personnal experience most of the "a 
parte" are just due to the cumbersome "reply to all, remove all execpt 
list" one keeps forgetting. We might still have delays but at least in 
sequence.

My 1.78 eurocents
jfc

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.478 / Virus Database: 275 - Release Date: 06/05/03