Subject: Adding IANA considerations to OCP drafts

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:28:04 -0700 (MST)

Greetings,

	HTTP Adaptations draft uses two URIs to identify request and
response adaptation profiles. I have been asked to draft the IANA
considerations section that registers those URIs with IANA.

Here is what I came up with after looking through a few RFCs for
examples. Please note that I failed to find formal URI registration
guidelines on IANA web site. There is "Information about how to
register a URI Scheme" [RFC 2717] but we are not trying to create a
new URI scheme (should we do that instead of simply using HTTP URLs by
default??).

The first section below replaces the current IANA Considerations
section of the OCP Core draft [I-D.ietf-opes-ocp-core]. The current
sections says that OCP Core has nothing to register with IANA. That is
still true and is repeated in the revised version of this section. We
now document feature registration _procedure_.

The second section is an addition to the HTTP Adaptations to OPES
draft [I-D.ietf-opes-http] that registers two HTTP-related features.
In retrospect, we should have used
"http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/" prefix and we should not
have capitalized "HTTP" segment in the path. The added section
reflects these changes, but the rest of the draft needs to be brought
in sync by replacing all occurrences of
	http://iana.org/opes/ocp/HTTP
with
	http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http
I think this should be fixed (via an RFC Editor note?) before
publishing this draft as PS.

Again, I am not sure the whole thing is inline with IANA preferences.
For example, the /assignments/ namespace does not look pretty to me.

------ suggested IANA Considerations sections for review ----

OCP Core :: Section 14. IANA Considerations

   The IANA maintains a list of OCP features, including application
   profiles (Section 10.11). For each feature, its "uri" parameter
   value is registered along with the extension parameters (if any).
   Registered feature syntax and semantics are documented using
   PETDM notation (Section 9).

   The IESG is responsible for assigning a designated expert to
   review each standards-track registration prior to the IANA making
   the assignment. The OPES working group mailing list may be used
   to solicit commentary for both standards-track and
   non-standards-track features.

   Standards-track OCP Core extensions SHOULD use
   "http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/" prefix for feature "uri"
   parameters.  It is suggested that the IANA populates resources identified
   by such "uri" parameters with corresponding feature registrations.  It is
   also suggested that the IANA maintains an index of all registered OCP
   features at http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/ URL or on a page
   linked from that URL.

   This specification defines no OCP features for IANA registration.

HTTP adaptation with OPES :: Section 9. IANA Considerations

   The IANA registers request and response profile features (Section
   3.2) using the registration procedure outlined in "IANA
   Considerations" Section of OCP Core [I-D.ietf-opes-ocp-core]. The
   corresponding "uri" parameters for the two features are:

	- http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http/request
	- http://iana.org/assignments/opes/ocp/http/response

----------------------------

Please post if you have suggestions or objections regarding the above.

Thanks,

Alex.