Subject: Work on Rules Language

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:34:40 -0500

Folks,

the deadline for our rules language document was October last year. 
This deadline has already been extended a few times. So we need to 
decide on how to move on with this document.

Based on earlier discussions on the mailing list about status and work 
needed, we checked with Ted (our AD) and discussed the following options:

  (1) Produce a minimal draft on "P" now, knowing that it will not
      be sufficient and be obsolete if the group gets re-chartered
      and if it continues to work on "P".
      Pros: We would meet the charter item
      Cons: Wastes time (assuming "P" will be in possible re-charter)

  (2) Extend the current deadline for another 2-4 months.

  (3) Remove this specific work item from our current charter and
      put it up for consideration in a possible re-charter.

After discussions with Ted, we believe that choice (3) is the most 
sensible, as it allows us to actually to do the work we believe needs 
doing, and all this in a realistic time frame. We also won't waste any 
time completing a document that won't meet our needs.

As such, we'll send a request to our AD and to the secretariat to 
remove the OPES rules language from our current charter and include it 
in discussions for a re-charter.

Any strong objections?

Thanks,
   Markus

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:55:56 -0700 (MST)

> time completing a document that won't meet our needs.

I agree and glad we are finally moving forward with this!

Thank you,

Alex.

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:21:50 -0500

Folks,

quick update... Since our request removes a milestone from the current 
charter, this nominally requires IESG approval. We've been working 
with Ted (who is now bringing this to the IESG), so there shouldn't be 
a problem. However, it'll take a little to get this through the process.

For now, we will go forward assuming the change will go through. This 
means that we

  - first, have to address comments from IESG review of our current
    documents,
  - once this is done, we'll continue discussion of possible re-charter
    (including the rules stuff).

Thanks,
   Markus

Markus Hofmann wrote:
> 
> Folks,
> 
> the deadline for our rules language document was October last year. This 
> deadline has already been extended a few times. So we need to decide on 
> how to move on with this document.
> 
> As such, we'll send a request to our AD and to the secretariat to remove 
> the OPES rules language from our current charter and include it in 
> discussions for a re-charter.
> 
> Any strong objections?
> 
> Thanks,
>   Markus
>