Subject: Re: [draft-ietf-opes-smtp-use-cases-01]

From: jfcm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:38:56 +0100

At 11:53 02/02/2005, Markus Hofmann wrote:
>this is *not* meant to cut off the discussion we had so far, but looking 
>at the time table it's time to submit a -00 version of the draft. It's 
>important to do this before the cut-off date for IETF 62.
>
>I suggest to submit the draft as WG document now. NOTE: Discussions will 
>continue and updated/modified versions of the draft will be produced. But 
>it's just important that we've a proper reference point.
>
>Possible changes before publishing the -00 version should focus on adding 
>new use cases that were brought up during the discussion. Discussions will 
>continue to possibly categorize these uses cases and to decide on which 
>categories might be in scope or out of scope. Seems fine to have this 
>discussion based on a -00 draft.
>
>Abbie, Martin - can you please prepare the draft and submit it as WG 
>document by end of this week? Please copy Tony and myself when you submit, 
>so that we can approve it right away.
>
>Please keep the discussion going - updates on the -00 draft will certainly 
>be made.

I hope so :-) as I am unable to understand it. To keep the discussion 
rolling ....

I accept I have a very low IQ. I accept I have a real world network user 
oriented vision. But it MAY happen that some readers share that problem, or 
even have a lower IQ or  even are real users and implementors, even that 
some are developpers and need to have a reference book in hands. In a 
document which is to make them  know what the intended neywork building 
block(s) is(are) about, what it/they can do and how it/they is/are to be 
used, it would help to address these points in a way dumb stupid people 
like me understand this is about use-cases.

Case 1 - I am sending a mail
Case 2 - I am receiving a mail
Case 3 - I am operating a MTA business service
Case 4 - I am operating an OPES business service
Case 5 - I am operating a network
Case 6 - I am operating a mailing list
Case 7 - I am designing an MTA

BTW, how many people are we on this WG ?
jfc

>Thanks,
>   Markus
>
>
>Abbie Barbir wrote:
>>All,
>>attached is the first version of the
>>draft-ietf-opes-smtp-use-cases-01.
>>This is the time to get engaed and provide feedback on the draft. Let us 
>>do that for the next week and then we can update it and send it to the 
>>ietf list as a WG draft.
>>Thanks
>>Abbie Barbir
>>Nortel Networks
>
>
>

---

From: "The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:52:16 -0700

You are operating an MTA business service.  

You offer customers a red star on their outgoing email, and a blue
star on incoming email.

Your SMTP service sends outgoing email to the OPES callout server with
a "red star" service request.  The email comes back from the callout
server and is delivered to its destination.

Your SMTP service sends incoming email to the callout server with a
"blue star" service request.  The email comes back from the callout
server and is delivered to its destination.

For anything more complicated, try using the terminology in
the OPES architecture document.

Hilarie