Subject: Fwd: Callout Protocol Core - Kept parameter

From: Martin Thelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:39:53 +0200

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who can answer my question regarding the Kept 
parameter of the opes core protocol "Data Use Mine" message? The 
inconstancy I've pointed out does not only affect this parameter but 
would cause a OCP agent to terminate the transaction because of a 
invalid message format caused by this parameter.

Furthermore I've found another inconstancy in the specification. It is 
in RFC 4236, section 3.9 (examples) where the server sends back the 
following answer:
|>    S: DUM 55 0
|>       AM-Part: response-header
|>
|>       76:HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
|>       Content-Type: text/html
|>       Proxy-Connection: close
|>
|>       ;
|>    S: DUM 55 0
|>       AM-Part: response-body
|>
|>       67:<html><body>You are not allowed to
|>       access this page.</body></html>
|>       ;

Please note the my-offset parameter of the DUM messages. It's 0 in both 
messages. This would cause a non http-profile aware agent (e.g. if the 
callout server simply forward the messages to an other agent) to belief 
that a AME message is missing.

Regards,
Martin Thelian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	Callout Protocol Core - Kept parameter
Datum: 	Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:21:46 +0200
Von: 	Martin Thelian <[email-masked]>
An: 	[email-masked]

Hi,

I am confused about the definition of the Kept parameter of a DUM 
message. The parameter is defined in rfc4037 as follows
|>   DUM: extends message with {
|>           xid my-offset;
|>           [As-is: org-offset];
|>           [Kept: org-offset org-size ];
|>           [Modp: modp];
|>   } and payload;

And in rfc4236 the Kept parameter is e.g. used in the following example:
|>    P: DUM 88 65
|>       Kept: 65 64
|>       AM-Part: response-header
|>
|>       64:HTTP/1.1 200 OK
|>       Content-Type: text/html
|>       Content-Length: 95

I'm confused, because the value of the Kept parameter doesn't follow the 
rules for a valid message format (see: rfc 4037, 3.1). A value can be a 
struct, list or atom. The value shown in the example is not a struct or 
list, so it must be an atom value. But a atom value must not have 
spaces, or the value has to be quoted.

So, what's the correct representation of the Kept parameter value?

As list?
|> Kept: (65,64)

As structure?
|> Kept: {65 64}

Quoted?
|> Kept: "65 64"

Regards,
Martin Thelian

---

From: jfcm <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:01:49 +0200

At 06:39 25/04/2006, Martin Thelian wrote:
>Hi,
>Is there anyone out there who can answer my question regarding the 
>Kept parameter of the opes core protocol "Data Use Mine" message? 
>The inconstancy I've pointed out does not only affect this parameter 
>but would cause a OCP agent to terminate the transaction because of 
>a invalid message format caused by this parameter.

Dear Martin,
I am unable to answer that question because I nearly gave up interest 
in this sleepy WG. But if this question means that someone is trying 
to implement OCP as part of a real application: I am interested. OPES 
for me are key part of the Internet of futur if such a thing ever 
exist, as part of the ONES I often discussed. Using OCP or not.

I gave up hopes however ONES/OPES could deploy out of some IETF 
action when I see the speed of two other key issues for us: IPv6 and 
Multilingual DNs. So, we work in a different way - and are eager for 
parallel interest/experience. We work on the development and the 
usage of the MDRS (multilingual distributed referential system) 
http://intlnet.org/mdrs.pdf as an open project. MDRS is a network 
technology independent distributed open extended IANA service. Its 
purpose is to feed user agents, ONES, and OPES with the registered 
data they need to support interrelations.

jfc

---

From: Martin Thelian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:30:42 +0200

Hi!
> to implement OCP as part of a real application: I am interested. 
I'm working on a java implementation of OCP as part of my diploma 
thesis. I've also planned to implement some simple callout services. If 
the implementation is good enough I'll publish it as open source. So far 
I've realized a simple loop back request modification callout service . 
At the moment I'm trying to do some simple data preservation. And that 
was the time, where I ran into problems regarding the Kept parameter.

Regards,
Martin