Subject: Document Action: 'Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:08:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP '
   <draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Open Pluggable Edge Services Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opes-smtp-security-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
    The Open Pluggable Edge Services (OPES) framework is application
   agnostic.  Application specific adaptations extend that framework.
   Previous work has focused on HTTP and work for SMTP is in progress.
   These protocols differ fundamentally in the way data flows and it
   turns out that existing OPES requirements and IAB considerations for
   OPES need to be reviewed with regards to how well they fit for SMTP
   adaptation.  This document analyzes aspects about the integrity of
   SMTP and mail message adaptation by OPES systems and privacy and
   security issues when the OPES framework is adapted to SMTP and lists
   requirements that must be considered when creating the "SMTP
   adaptation with OPES" document.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 There was consensus to publish this document as a record of the
  working group's discussion.  There were comments on the IETF
  Last Call; an updated document was produced to address them.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:40:03 -0400

Thanks to everyone in the OPES WG for your work in getting this document
put to bed.

This concludes the chartered work of the Working Group. Anyone who
wishes to carry on the work of the WG is encouraged to do so using
individual submissions. The mailing list will remain open and available
for anyone to use to discuss such individual internet drafts.

Thanks again to everyone for the fine work that's been accomplished over
these past many years:

  RFC 3752  2002-08  OPES Use Cases and Deployment Scenarios
  RFC 3835  2002-12  An Architecture for OPES
  RFC 3836  2002-12  Requirements for OPES Callout Protocols
  RFC 3837  2003-12  Security Threats and Risks for OPES
  RFC 3838  2004-04  Policy, Authorization & Enforcement Req'ts of OPES
  RFC 3897  2004-05  OPES entities and end points communication
  RFC 3914  2004-04  OPES Treatment of IAB Considerations
  RFC 4037  2004-05  OPES Callout Protocol (OCP) Core
  RFC 4236  2005-11  HTTP Adaptation with OPES
  RFC 4496  2006-01  OPES SMTP Use Cases
  RFC ????  2007-02  Integrity, privacy and security in OPES for SMTP

Your OPES co-chairs,

	Markus Hofmann & Tony Hansen

---

From: jfcm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:51:10 +0100

Thank you to the Chairs and ADs. A clear IAB analysis, a clearly 
understood charter, dedicated authors and open minded members. Thanks 
to everyone.

May I suggest that we continue relating on OPES in the following 
context. Since the beginning my interest is in the support of the DNS 
to be able to massage DNS requests and responses in order to support 
ML.ML, Classes, DDDS relations, etc.  without modifying the ends. 
Also, in what I call the ONES (Open Networked Extended Services), 
that is to say specialized networks of call-out servers.

I think that the debated Multi-Level addressing and the Multitopology 
approaches enter into that category. OPES could help the transition 
to, a good location for OPES being for example NATs, helping reducing 
progressively their specificities and transitioning to IPv6 or 
multi-IPvX. I think also that OPES could be a very simple way to get 
adjencies information and manage routing through meshed or 
distributed supervisory functions. Their role in multilingualisation 
(localisation of the globalisation, 
globalisation=internationalisation of the medium + localisation of 
the end) can also be important.

It could be great to have a site for assembling the links on OPES 
issues. I am considering a site with an African R&D center to that 
end and MoUs with various SSDOs and Academic institutions. There 
would be the RFCs, the texts and the open source software you could 
give us access to.

Question: can I cite this mailing list (can people still register and 
access archives?).
jfc

---

From: Markus Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:20:58 -0400

jfc,

my understanding is that the mailing list will remain open for further 
discussions etc.

Ted - could you please let us know if this assumption is not correct.

Thanks,
   Markus

jfcm wrote:
> understood charter, dedicated authors and open minded members. Thanks to 
> everyone.
> 
> context. Since the beginning my interest is in the support of the DNS to 
> be able to massage DNS requests and responses in order to support ML.ML, 
> Classes, DDDS relations, etc.  without modifying the ends. Also, in what 
> I call the ONES (Open Networked Extended Services), that is to say 
> specialized networks of call-out servers.
> 
> approaches enter into that category. OPES could help the transition to, 
> a good location for OPES being for example NATs, helping reducing 
> adjencies information and manage routing through meshed or distributed 
> supervisory functions. Their role in multilingualisation (localisation 
> of the globalisation, globalisation=internationalisation of the medium + 
> localisation of the end) can also be important.
> 
> issues. I am considering a site with an African R&D center to that end 
> and MoUs with various SSDOs and Academic institutions. There would be 
> the RFCs, the texts and the open source software you could give us 
> access to.
>

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:49:40 -0700

At 10:20 AM -0400 3/15/07, Markus Hofmann wrote:
>jfc,
>
>my understanding is that the mailing list will remain open for further discussions etc.
>

The mailing list will remain open.
			regards,
				Ted Hardie

>Thanks,
>  Markus
>
>jfcm wrote:
>>
>>Thank you to the Chairs and ADs. A clear IAB analysis, a clearly understood charter, dedicated authors and open minded members. Thanks to everyone.
>>
>>May I suggest that we continue relating on OPES in the following context. Since the beginning my interest is in the support of the DNS to be able to massage DNS requests and responses in order to support ML.ML, Classes, DDDS relations, etc.  without modifying the ends. Also, in what I call the ONES (Open Networked Extended Services), that is to say specialized networks of call-out servers.
>>
>>I think that the debated Multi-Level addressing and the Multitopology approaches enter into that category. OPES could help the transition to, a good location for OPES being for example NATs, helping reducing progressively their specificities and transitioning to IPv6 or multi-IPvX. I think also that OPES could be a very simple way to get adjencies information and manage routing through meshed or distributed supervisory functions. Their role in multilingualisation (localisation of the globalisation, globalisation=internationalisation of the medium + localisation of the end) can also be important.
>>
>>It could be great to have a site for assembling the links on OPES issues. I am considering a site with an African R&D center to that end and MoUs with various SSDOs and Academic institutions. There would be the RFCs, the texts and the open source software you could give us access to.
>>
>>Question: can I cite this mailing list (can people still register and access archives?).
>>jfc
>>
>>
>>
>>