Subject: [OPSEC] Document Shepherd / Announcement Write-Up for draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:29:33 -0700

Document Shepherd Write-Up for

	draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf

Questions per RFC 4858 3.1:

1a. 	Joel Jaeggli is the shepherd for document. The shepherd believes
	that this document is of sufficient quality to bring to the IESG
	Ron Bonica is the shepherding AD.

1b.	The document has received review in the working group
	as well as input from the creators of the method and operator
	community that is the intended audience for this draft.

1c.	The reservation of default communities, previously a feature of
	this draft was removed between 01 and 02 leaving only
	operational practice.

1d.	None

1e.	Working group consensus has consistently favored this work item.
	Community reservation had significant detractors as current
	practice has operators select their own communities based on
	what they are willing to support and the use of such signaling
	requires significant coordination.

1f.	No

1g.	ID Nits have been passed. There are three examples located in
	Appendix A and B where RFC 3330 addresses cannot solely be used
	for the purposes of clarity RFC 1918 addresses are used to
	supplement them.

1h.	There are no downwardly referential normative references.

1i.	With the removal of the community reservation there are no IANA
	considerations.

1j.	No such formal validation is required.

1k.	included

Document Announcement Write-Up for

	draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf currently in draft 03 having
	completed WG last call.
	
Technical Summary

	Remote Triggered Black Hole (RTBH) filtering is a popular and
	effective technique for the mitigation of denial-of-service
	attacks. This document expands upon destination-based RTBH
	filtering by outlining a method to enable filtering by source
	address as well.

Working Group Summary

	The WG last call period for draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf-03
	has been completed without opposition. Commentary on the draft
	in the current and prior revision at IETF 74 and before would
	indicate that the WG believes that the document is in suitable
	form to advance.

Document Quality

	As it documents existing current practice both in router
	implementation and in operational practice and expands upon but
	does not obsolete rfc 3882 we believe that it is suitable to
	advance towards the goal of BCP status.

Personnel

	Review by both industry peers (NANOG security BOF), and one of
	the originators of the method (Barry Greene) was solicited, and
	their input is noted in the contributions section. Joel Jaeggli
	Shepherded this document through the working group process.