Subject: [OPSEC] RFC 6192 on Protecting the Router Control Plane

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:34:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6192

        Title:      Protecting the Router Control Plane 
        Author:     D. Dugal, C. Pignataro,
                    R. Dunn
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 49422
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsec-protect-control-plane-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6192.txt

This memo provides a method for protecting a router's control plane
from undesired or malicious traffic.  In this approach, all
legitimate router control plane traffic is identified.  Once
legitimate traffic has been identified, a filter is deployed in the
router's forwarding plane.  That filter prevents traffic not
specifically identified as legitimate from reaching the router's
control plane, or rate-limits such traffic to an acceptable level.

Note that the filters described in this memo are applied only to
traffic that is destined for the router, and not to all traffic that
is passing through the router.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational 
purposes.

This document is a product of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC