Subject: Re: [OPSEC] [v6ops] FW: ITU-T Recommendation ITU-T X.1037, Technical security guideline on deploying IPv6

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 07:56:11 -0700

Hi Nick,
At 03:57 13-06-2013, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>This document is of sufficiently poor quality that in order to make it
>useful, it would need to be substantially rewritten by someone with a
>significantly better understanding of both ipv6 and security.  I don't
>think that its problems can be rectified by submitting limited comments on
>prespecified sections, and if the IETF does this, it could be construed as
>giving its imprimatur to the document.  I believe that this could reflect
>badly on the IETF and on that basis I think it would be a bad idea for the
>IETF to submit comments.

It would have helped to have some context about the last ITU-T X.1037 
liaison statement.  The liaison statement was addressed to the 
Security Area whereas the matter was previously discussed in the Ops 
Area last year.

The IETF cannot say that the document is of poor quality.  There is a 
work item in the OPSEC WG which is similar to the ITU-T X.1037 
document.  It could mention the previous diplomatic reply and mention 
that work item again.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:19:19 +0100

On 13/06/2013 15:56, SM wrote:
> The IETF cannot say that the document is of poor quality.

Indeed not: for the record, my comments were solely a reflection of my
personal opinion on the contents of the document.

Nick