Subject: [payload] comments on draft-demjanenko-payload-melpe-02

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:23:58 +0200

Hi,

I looked at the document and have some comments

1.       The term MIME type is not used for RTP payload but we call it media
subtype name , the media type is audio in your case

2.       The term rate should probably be used for the clock rate and for
what you call "rate" maybe use "bitrate"

3.       I am not sure what is the meaning of rate=600,1200,2400 in the
offer, is that the sender capability to switch dynamically between these
three rates?

4.       Are both sides need to use the same rate option (symmetric)?

5.       What is the meaning of an answer rate=600,1200 to the above offer?
Does it mean that both sides can switch only between 600 and 1200.

6.       We prefer not to have the rate in the media subtype name so use
only MELP and MELPE and for fixed rate use the rate parameter.

7.       An RTP payload document must also have a congestion control
section. You can look at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-payload-rtp-howto-13 about how to
write an RTP payload specification and also look at one of the latest RTP
audio payloads like opus
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-payload-rtp-opus-08) for an example
about the structure of an audio RTP payload and how to have the congestion
control, security, IANA and SDP consideration sections

Thanks

Roni Even as individual

---

From: "Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:49:15 -0400

Hi Roni,

Thanks for the comments/questions.  I will answer them below with "v->"
prefix.

Regards,

Victor

From: payload [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roni Even
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [payload] comments on draft-demjanenko-payload-melpe-02

Hi,

v-> Unfortunately I am not (well) versed in what all the "MIME" language
means.  I had used a iLBC payload draft from a couple of years ago as my
model.  So what should I be changing?  Should I look at the language used in
the OPUS draft?

v-> Agreed.  I did not know the best term to use.

v-> The offerer can send in all three rates and prefers to use 600.  The
next preference is for 1200.

v-> Yes.  You are correct that we do not explicitly state this.

v-> Yes.  And it means they will start at 600.

v-> This was done for compatibility reasons.  MELP2400, MELP1200 and MELP600
are used in systems that have already been deployed.  

v-> Thanks.  I have looked at one of these howto documents already.  I will
refresh to these references as per your suggestion.

Thanks

Roni Even as individual