Subject: [ppsp] a reference draft of PPSP

From: yunfei zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:45:04 +0800

Dear all,
    ETRI guys submitted a  draft of an IPTV Usage for RELOAD in P2PSIP WG(
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-softgear-p2psip-iptv-00.txt).
Please see for reference.
    I have read the draft already and think it's a good starting point to
discuss.In the author's view, the basic IPTV system architecture is
client/server mode and only the search and registration of IPTV program
information uses RELOAD.However I don't think the main problem to be solved
in current IPTV can be answered by the solutions presented in this draft.In
contrast,I believe that the main problem of IPTV (esp. for the live program)
lies in what we discussed in the last PPSP bar bof ,i.e., how to balance the
efficiency of delivery the programs and the scalability as well as
realiability of the system.
    Different from VoIP which involves just locating the callee (bascially
can use p2p)and direct call (bascially can use end-to-end
communcication)between the two persons, IPTV and other p2p streaming
applications involves more parties and more complex transcations both in
signaling and in transmission among them. A general client/sever IPTV
architecture with p2p type STATIC program inforamtion search is of little
use.
     Just two cents.

                                                           Yunfei