Subject: [ppsp] FYI. Network Coordinate Systems related papers

From: "Softgear Ko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:49:17 +0900

Hello.

In P2P Streaming, finding closest or best peer (relay) selection is
important. A straight forward way for this is measuring RTT to all other
peers (or relay). But, this method is too costly and not scale because there
are too many peers. 

There are some papers which focus on network coordinate system. These papers
makes a coordinate system from latency, hop count, DNS information, or
geographic information. This coordinate help a client to find the closest or
best relay quickly.

I introduces some papers of them.

[IDMaps] An architecture for a global Internet host distance estimation
service, 1999

[PIC] Predicting Internet Network Distance with Coordinates-Based
Approaches, 2002

[VIVALDI] A Decentralized Network Coordinate System, 2004

Do you know any already deployed system which uses network coordinate system
or the best coordinate system for P2P Streaming?

-       Softgear Ko

---

From: "Yunfei Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:01:14 +0800

Hi,Softgear，
     This is a good topic.To the best of my knowledge,there is no practical systems to use coordinates to help peer selection.However I do think this is a trend we may pay more attention to.
     I have an IETF draft to describe T2MC, a method to cluster peers more efficiently than VIVALDI and GNP.Shared with the same idea with you,we think this can be used in PPSP peer selection.You may refer to http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-alto-traceroute-02 for more detail.Thanks.

  Best regards!
  Sincerely yours,
  Yunfei 
      2009-04-30
*****************************************************

Yunfei Zhang, Ph.D.

R&D, CHINA MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION

Tel: +86 10 158016966688 ext. 3247

Fax: +86 10 63601087

MOBILE: 1360-1032-119

*****************************************************

-------------------------------------------------------------
发件人：Softgear Ko
发送日期：2009-04-30 15:49:34
收件人：[email-masked]
抄送：
主题：[ppsp] FYI. Network Coordinate Systems related papers

Hello.

 

-       Softgear Ko

_______________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

---

From: "Softgear Ko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:02:15 +0900

Sorry, There is typo.

[IDMaps] An architecture for a global Internet host distance estimation
service, 1999.
[GNP] Predicting Internet Network Distance with Coordinates-Based
Approaches, 2002.
[PIC] Practical Internet coordinates for distance estimation, 2004.
[VIVALDI] A Decentralized Network Coordinate System, 2004.

:-)

>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Softgear Ko
>Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:49 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [ppsp] FYI. Network Coordinate Systems related papers
>
>Hello.
>
important. A straight forward >way for this is measuring RTT to all other
peers (or relay). But, this method is too costly and not >scale because
there are too many peers. 
>There are some papers which focus on network coordinate system. These
papers makes a coordinate >system from latency, hop count, DNS information,
or geographic information. This coordinate help a >client to find the
closest or best relay quickly.
service, 1999
Approaches, 2002
>Do you know any already deployed system which uses network coordinate
system or the best coordinate >system for P2P Streaming?