Subject: [ppsp] Supporting DECADE in PPSP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:46:49 +0800

Hi, all

We submitted a new draft about supporting DECADE in PPSP. It can be 
accessed at 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-le-ppsp-decade-interoperation-00.txt
Comments are welcome.

BR
Lichun

A new version of I-D, draft-le-ppsp-decade-interoperation-00.txt has been 
successfully submitted by Guan Le and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:                 draft-le-ppsp-decade-interoperation
Revision:                 00
Title:                            PPSP Usage for DECADE
Creation_date:            2011-03-07
WG ID:                            Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 14

Abstract:
P2P Streaming has become popular application in the Internet.
Currently, most home subscribers access Internet via ADSL, in which
downlink bandwidth and uplink bandwidth are not symmetric.  This
feature would influence the performance of P2P Streaming, and the
problem may be worse in mobile scenarios.  This draft presents the
interoperation between PPSP protocol and DECADE protocol to provide
DECADE service for PPSP applications.  Typically, there are two
solution to achieve interoperation, loose interoperation among peers,
and close interoperation via connection of peer and tracker.  By
introducing DECADE in both tracker protocol and peer protocol, PPSP
streaming can alleviate strength of upload bandwidth and improve
performance for fix and mobile scenario.

The IETF Secretariat.

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.

---

From: "zhangyunfei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:31:23 +0800

Hi Lichun,
    This is an intersting topic I thought and discussed during the set up of PPSP and DECADE. Thanks for making it more clear:).Some suggestions are as follows:
1) The target of this draft: Is it better to discuss the inter-opearability between PPSP and DECADE;or discuss the usage of DECADE in PPSP? I mean the focus may be a little bit different: In the former case, the focus is how the protocols inter-act in the mesage options exchange; in the latter case, the focus is how the PPSP applications use DECADE to enhance the performance. I prefer to taking it as the usage.
2) Should we make DECADE server selection with priority all the time? In the mobile senario, such selection is reasonable; in wired senario, it seems better to select good enough peers within my LAN than select DECADE servers which is more far from me. This will reduce the unnecessary traffic and provide better performance.

BR
Yunfei

zhangyunfei
2011-03-14

发件人： [email-masked]
发送时间： 2011-03-08 17:47:11
收件人： [email-masked]
抄送： 
主题： [ppsp] Supporting DECADE in PPSP

Hi, all 

We submitted a new draft about supporting DECADE in PPSP. It can be accessed at http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-le-ppsp-decade-interoperation-00.txt 
Comments are welcome. 

BR 
Lichun 

A new version of I-D, draft-le-ppsp-decade-interoperation-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Guan Le and posted to the IETF repository.

Abstract:

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:39:37 +0800

Hi yunfei,
Thanks for your comments.
1) The focus is the usage of DECADE in PPSP. The usage also needs some 
extensions to the protocols.
2) You are right. The priority of DECADE depends on scenario and 
peer/DECADE selection algorithm. Sometimes, downloading from peer is 
better. Also, some scenarios may use DECADE as backup only and give low 
priority to DECADE.

BR
Lichun

"zhangyunfei" <[email-masked]> 
2011-03-14 10:31

收件人
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" 
<[email-masked]>
抄送

主题
Re: [ppsp] Supporting DECADE in PPSP

Hi Lichun,
    This is an intersting topic I thought and discussed during the set up 
of PPSP and DECADE. Thanks for making it more clear:).Some suggestions are 
as follows:
1) The target of this draft: Is it better to discuss the 
inter-opearability between PPSP and DECADE;or discuss the usage of DECADE 
in PPSP? I mean the focus may be a little bit different: In the former 
case, the focus is how the protocols inter-act in the mesage options 
exchange; in the latter case, the focus is how the PPSP applications use 
DECADE to enhance the performance. I prefer to taking it as the usage.
2) Should we make DECADE server selection with priority all the time? In 
the mobile senario, such selection is reasonable; in wired senario, it 
seems better to select good enough peers within my LAN than select DECADE 
servers which is more far from me. This will reduce the unnecessary 
traffic and provide better performance.
 
BR
Yunfei

zhangyunfei
2011-03-14

Hi, all 

BR 
Lichun 

Abstract:

The IETF Secretariat.

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is 
solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is 
confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and 
are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to 
others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended 
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. 
If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of 
the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the 
individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam 
system.

---

From: "乐冠" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:46:13 +0800

Hi Yunfei and Lichun

Thank you for your comments. I will update draft based on your suggestion. Here are my considerations in line:

1) The target of this draft: Is it better to discuss the inter-opearability between PPSP and DECADE;or discuss the usage of DECADE in PPSP? I mean the focus may be a little bit different: In the former case, the focus is how the protocols inter-act in the mesage options exchange; in the latter case, the focus is how the PPSP applications use DECADE to enhance the performance. I prefer to taking it as the usage.
I agree your opinion. What's more, content about PPSP and DECADE interoperation aims to provide scenarios for usage. Also, we can list some extension suggestions to both protocol. Peharps I can add a new chapter to those suggestion.

2) Should we make DECADE server selection with priority all the time? In the mobile senario, such selection is reasonable; in wired senario, it seems better to select good enough peers within my LAN than select DECADE servers which is more far from me. This will reduce the unnecessary traffic and provide better performance.
I agree. We should design based on different scenarios. One more question, should peer upload content to DECADE server automatically when get data from other peers? Perhaps in push-based model, it may be reasonable; in pull-based model, peer can wait for other peers' request and then take action to requests.

Guan Le
School of Computer Science
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
 2011-03-16

From:  li.lichun1 
Date:  2011-03-14  13:40:09 
To:  zhangyunfei 
Cc:  [email-masked] 
Subject:  Re: [ppsp] Supporting DECADE in PPSP 

Hi yunfei, 
Thanks for your comments. 
1) The focus is the usage of DECADE in PPSP. The usage also needs some extensions to the protocols. 
2) You are right. The priority of DECADE depends on scenario and peer/DECADE selection algorithm. Sometimes, downloading from peer is better. Also, some scenarios may use DECADE as backup only and give low priority to DECADE. 

BR 
Lichun 

"zhangyunfei" <[email-masked]> 
2011-03-14 10:31 收件人"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
抄送
主题Re: [ppsp] Supporting DECADE in PPSP

Hi Lichun, 
  
BR 
Yunfei 

zhangyunfei 
2011-03-14 

Hi, all 

BR 
Lichun 

Abstract:

The IETF Secretariat.