Subject: [ppsp] Selection of PPSP peer protocol draft

From: Adrian Georgescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:30:26 +0100

My vote goes to draft-grishchenko-ppsp-swift proposal

Swift proposal has a better design with regards to key ingredients for what a peer to peer network requires in order to properly operate. It is IP transport agnostic, has NAT traversal capability and has built-in detection for Man in the Middle Attacks by design to name a few critical features of a p2p application relying on transient end-points over the Internet. Using HTTP only as transport inherits most of its flaws, the most relevant being impossibility of directly reach peer clients located behind NAT. The limitations and assumptions made by draft-gu-ppsp-peer-protocol are a bit out of date with reality about how connectivity works on Internet today.

Overall, Swift proposal looks more mature.

I am a software developer and I have implemented working P2P real-time communications systems deployed commercially over the public Internet since 2005.

http://ag-projects.com/sip-thor-products-291

Kind regards,
Adrian Georgescu

---

From: "Ofir Amir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:04:35 +0200

Hi,

I'm representing Oversi Networks, a vendor of P2P and Video caches for ISPs.

Over the last 6 years we have implemented several P2P protocols including
Bit-Torrent, some HTTP based, and also swift.

We favor Swift as the PPSP peer protocol for the following reasons:

1. Performance: Swift ability to work over UDP, in addition to other
transport protocols, make it more efficient in high capacity server, in
contrast to HTTP only based protocols (important feature when it comes to
implementing P2P Caches as we do).

2. Implementation: although there are quite a lot HTTP implementations, not
all of them are fully compliant, specifically when taking into consideration
that you need both client & server for low end devices. This can cause quite
a lot of interoperability issues later down the road. 
Swift existing open source implementation is relatively efficient and
lightweight, and carry the most important functionality within a small and
nimble core. This make it suitable for both high end servers and low end
devices.

3. We really like the Merkel-hash with no additional metadata approach

Best Regards,

Ofir Amir, 
Chief Architect, Oversi