Subject: [ppsp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ppsp-base-tracker-protocol-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:39:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Peer to Peer Streaming Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : PPSP Tracker Protocol-Base Protocol (PPSP-TP/1.0)
	Author(s)       : Rui Santos Cruz
                          Mario Serafim Nunes
                          Gu Yingjie
                          Jinwei Xia
                          Joao P. Taveira
                          Deng Lingli
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ppsp-base-tracker-protocol-01.txt
	Pages           : 55
	Date            : 2013-07-11

Abstract:
   This document specifies the base Peer-to-Peer Streaming Protocol-
   Tracker Protocol (PPSP-TP/1.0), an application-layer control
   (signaling) protocol for the exchange of meta information between
   trackers and peers.  The specification outlines the architecture of
   the protocol and its functionality, and describes message flows,
   message processing instructions, message formats, formal syntax and
   semantics.  The PPSP Tracker Protocol enables cooperating peers to
   form content streaming overlay networks to support near real-time
   Structured Media content delivery (audio, video, associated timed
   text and metadata), such as adaptive multi-rate, layered (scalable)
   and multi-view (3D) videos, in live, time-shifted and on-demand
   modes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ppsp-base-tracker-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ppsp-base-tracker-protocol-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ppsp-base-tracker-protocol-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Arno Bakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:43:10 +0200

Hi all

browsing the changes I have one major comment on the current -01 base 
tracker protocol. It must be possible for a client to request a sample 
of the peer population of a swarm that MUST be random, for security 
reasons as explained in Section 13.2.3 of the peer protocol draft.

Currently there is just an implementation note saying that the tracker 
MAY return a random sample when no PeerNum attributes are present in the 
request. We need a solution where it is mandatory for the tracker to
return this, e.g. indicated by a new request attribute.

Regards,
     Arno Bakker

---

From: Rui Cruz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:19:16 +0100

Hi,

We will rephrase the text to reflect that condition:

examples in section 4.1:

In case the @peerMode is LEECH (or if the peer Seeder includes a PeerNum element in the request) the tracker will search and select a random list of peers satisfying the conditions set by the requesting peer.

IMPLEMENTATION NOTE: If no PeerNum attributes are present in the request the tracker MUST return a random sample from the peer population.

Regards,

Rui Cruz
[email-masked]

IST/INESC-ID/INOV - Lisbon, Portugal
__________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

On 30/07/2013, at 09:43, Arno Bakker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all
> 
> browsing the changes I have one major comment on the current -01 base tracker protocol. It must be possible for a client to request a sample of the peer population of a swarm that MUST be random, for security reasons as explained in Section 13.2.3 of the peer protocol draft.
> 
> Currently there is just an implementation note saying that the tracker MAY return a random sample when no PeerNum attributes are present in the request. We need a solution where it is mandatory for the tracker to
> _______________________________________________
> ppsp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

---

From: Arno Bakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:21:59 +0200

> We will rephrase the text to reflect that condition:

Great! Thanks,
      Arno