Subject: draft PSAMP minutes of IETF §61

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:18:54 +0100

Dear all,

Below please find the draft minutes of our last session.
Please send comments within a week.

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]       Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,       Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de

===========================================
Minutes of the PSAMP BOF session at IETF 61
Friday November 12, 9:00 h - 11:30 h
===========================================

Packet Sampling Working Group
Chairs: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
        Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>

Minutes taken by Dave Plonka and Ralf Wolter

0. Session Summary
1. PSAMP WG Status
2. Update of Sampling Framework
3. Update od Packet Selection
4. Discussion of open PSAMP protocol issues
5. Discussion of open PSAMP Information Model issues
6. PSAMP MIB
7. Wrap up

----------------
Discussed Internet drafts

A Framework for Passive Packet Measurement
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-framework-09.txt

Sampling and Filtering Techniques for IP Packet Selection
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-sample-tech-05.txt

Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Protocol Specifications (expired)
draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-01.txt

Information Model for Packet Sampling Exports
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-info-02.txt

Definitions of Managed Objects for Packet Sampling
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-mib-03.txt

----------------
0. Session Summary

The PSAMP WG finished last call of its first document, the PSAMP framework.
A few editorial issues were still put on the list of actions items during the
meeting.  The document on packet selection is still in WG last call.  The
call was extended, because the number of reviews was performed until the
session was not sufficient.  After completing the packet selection document
all required input for the PSAMP MIB is available and this document can
be completed next.  The remaining two document, the protocol and the
information model specification, are on hold, because they depend on the
IPFIX protocol and information model specifications, which are not finished
yet.  If work in the IPFIX WG progresses as expected, the two missing
documents can be discussed at the next meeting and will enter WG last call
shortly after that meeting.

----------------
1. PSAMP WG Status (Juergen)	

The PSAMP framework document passed WG last call.  It will be forwarded
to the area directors soon.  The packet selection document is quite mature.
The deadline of WG last call on this document is past, but since there
was no serious review to be observed yet, it remains in last call.
Juergen requested that positive responses to the draft should be posted
as well so that there is evidence that it has been reviewed.

Protocol and info model document are waiting for progress of the
corresponding IPFIX docuements.  Work on the PSAMP MIB can go on when
last call on the packedt selection document is closed.  Then the PSAMP
MIB can be completed soon.

----------------
2. PSAMP Framework Document (Nick Duffield)	

draft-ietf-psamp-framework-09.txt

Nick explained that there were only minor changes applied to the draft
since the last version.  The last call is closed and should be ready
for WG last call.

[Benoit Claise] On the low-level filter, we only kept logical AND [in
                the packet selection draft] and removed logical OR
                because it was too hard to model, so it should be
                removed from this doc as well.

[Tanja Zseby] I agree and think this was just overlooked.

Andy reminded participants who review docs to make it known (that they
reviewed it) even if there are no negative issues/problems

----------------
3. Sampling and Filtering Techniques (Tanja Zseby)	

draft-ietf-psamp-sample-tech-05.txt

Tanja explained that Mask/match was renamed to field match filter.
Low level filter definition were substituted by a high level
definition.  There are further minor changes, e.g. the terminology
section was updated.  the Introduction and text on other PSAMP
document was added as well as the AT&T IPR statement.

Tanja requested that people read the document, and send feedback
regardless of whether or not there are problems

[Andy] Are there any volunteers willing to commit to reviewing this
       document in the next 2-3 weeks?
       I don't see a way to move forward unless there's reviews.

Stewart Bryant offered to do so.

----------------
4. PSAMP Protocol Specifications (Benoit Claise)	

draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-01.txt (expired)

Benoit explained that there was no proegress on this document because
it strongly depends on the IPFIX protocol document that is not yet finished.
The draft is already expired.  Benoit present a summary of recent progress
with the IPFIX protocol document.  For details about IPFIX, see BenoitÕs
section in the minutes of the IETF 61 IPFIX session.  After completing
IPFIX WG last call, work on the PSAMP protocol draft will continue.

[Andy] Is this a big delay in the PSAMP schedule
[Dave Plonka (IPFIX chair)] PSAMP participants should/could review the
                            IPFIX protocol document.
[Juergen] When the IPFIX protocol is complete, there will be no big
          technical issues for the PSAMP protocol.

----------------
5. PSAMP Information Model (no slides)	

draft-ietf-psamp-info-02.txt

J?rgen listed of open PSAMP Information Model issues.  The state is
similar to the protocol document, but the draft was updated in July 2004
and is not yet expired.  After completing IPFIX WG last call on the IPFIX
info model, work on the PSAMP IM draft will continue. A new version
should be available by the next meeting.

----------------
6. PSAMP MIB (no slides)	

draft-ietf-psamp-mib-03.txt

Also this draft was not not updated since July 2004.  But the MIB is
almost complete, except for some work on packet selection, due to
updates in that area.  After packet selection document finishes WG last
call, the MIB could go to last call as well, currently targeted for
December 04.

----------------
7. Wrap up

The meeting was adjourned.  Following the meeting, Juergen invited
those in the room to review the drafts documents now, since there
was plenty of time left in the session's time slot.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/psamp/>