Subject: PSAMP open issue 18: export rate limit?

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:28:52 +0100

Dear all,

In [PSAMP-FMWK], the following statement is still un-addressed in 
[PSAMP-PROTO]
PROTO-18 “The exporting process must have an export rate limit, 
configurable per Exporting Process”.
See section 8.3 for the details 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-framework-10.txt

First of all, I have a question regarding the requirement itself. Isn't 
it supposed to mean: “The exporting process must have an export rate 
limit, configurable per Collecting Process”? Otherwise, I don't 
understand the exact requirement when we have a PSAMP device exporting 
to multiple collectors!

Then, how to address the requirement?
Shall we simply update [PSAMP-PROTO] with a sentence such as: "The 
exporting process MUST have an export rate limit, configurable per 
Collecting Process"?
And that's it?

Do we keep the export rate limit as a generic term? Or do we define 
precisely what it mean? Example: number of IPFIX Messages, number of 
bytes/s, number of records/s?

As always, your views are appreciated.

Regards, Benoit.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/psamp/>

---

From: Tanja Zseby <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:23:28 +0100

Hi Benoit,

I think originally this was about controlling the report rate. 
Furthermore I think it could be difficult to control the number of bytes 
(although it may be a useful feature) by the exporting process. So for 
now I would only target the report export rate.

Regards
Tanja

Benoit Claise wrote:

> First of all, I have a question regarding the requirement itself. 
> Isn't it supposed to mean: “The exporting process must have an export 
> rate limit, configurable per Collecting Process”? Otherwise, I don't 

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. Tanja Zseby			    	      	
Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS			Email: [email-masked]	
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31			Phone: +49-30-3463-7153
D-10589 Berlin, Germany				Fax:   +49-30-3463-8153
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
"Living on earth is expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun." (Anonymous)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Andrew Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:34:51 +0000

Hello Benoit and all.

> understand the exact requirement when we have a PSAMP device exporting 

I would say that each Exporting Process exports to only one collector,
but can be fed by multiple Metering Processes.  Also, each Metering
Process may feed Multiple Exporting Processes.  With this concept we
can rate limit the Exporting Process and it will only affect one
collector.

> exporting process MUST have an export rate limit, configurable per 

If we agree that one Exporting Process deals with only one collector
then this simplifies matters.

> bytes/s, number of records/s?

I think we should pick a MUST, such as we MUST be able to rate limit
based on the number of data and option records per second, but you MAY
rate limit on other criteria also, such as bandwidth.  This will allow
some common ground between implementations, useful for people who buy
from multiple vendors.

Regards

Andrew