Subject: [PSAMP] Concluding the PSAM WG and moving the remaining work item to the IPFIX WG charter

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 21:21:40 +0200

Dear Dan and Ron,

I'm writing you with two hats on, the one of the PSAMP WG chair
and the one of the IPFIX WG co-chair.

As discussed at the IPFIX session in San Francisco, we plan to
conclude the PSAMP WG and move the one remaining work item to
the IPFIX WG.

The PSAMP WG has published all its planned documents except for
the PSAMP MIB module. It does not seem reasonable to keep the WG
alive  just for finishing this single document. Most of the
PSAMP WG members are also members of the IPFIX WG.
The remaining work can be completed in the IPFIX WG.

Therefore I propose to conclude the PSAMP WG and at the same time
to extend the IPFIX WG charter by adding the following text:

   6. The PSAMP WG has developed a protocol for reporting
   observed packets. The PSAMP protocol is an extension of
   the IPFIX protocol. The IPFIX WG will develop a MIB module
   for monitoring PSAMP implementations. The new MIB module
   will be an extension of the IPFIX MIB module.

with the new milestones

   Jan 2010   Submit final version of PSAMP MIB module

In the current PSAMP charter, the PSAMP MIB module work item
is described as follows:

   6. Configuration and Management. Define a packet sampler
   MIB to reside at the network element, including parameters
   for packet selection, packet report and stream format,
   and export. Select or define a communication protocol to
   configure/read this MIB.

This old text included monitoring and configuration. However,
the PSAMP WG as well as the IPFIX WG have consensus on using
MIB modules rather for monitoring than for configuration.
Configuration of PSAMP implementations is already covered by
an existing IPFIX work item: the Configuration Data Model for
IPFIX and PSAMP (draft-ietf-ipfix-configuration-model).
Therefore, the item to be added to the IPFIX charter would
cover monitoring only.

The suggested extension of the IPFIX charter was discussed at
the last IPFIX session in San Francisco without any objection.

Thanks,

    Juergen

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:42:22 +0200

This is fine and I support the move. 

Can you please forward me a revised IPFIX charter with the PSAMP MIB
added?

It would be a good opportunity to adjust milestones if necessary. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Quittek [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:22 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: Nevil Brownlee; IETF PSAMP Working Group; IETF IPFIX Working Group
> Subject: Concluding the PSAM WG and moving the remaining work 
> item to the IPFIX WG charter
> 
> Dear Dan and Ron,
> 
> I'm writing you with two hats on, the one of the PSAMP WG 
> chair and the one of the IPFIX WG co-chair.
> 
> As discussed at the IPFIX session in San Francisco, we plan 
> to conclude the PSAMP WG and move the one remaining work item 
> to the IPFIX WG.
> 
> The PSAMP WG has published all its planned documents except 
> for the PSAMP MIB module. It does not seem reasonable to keep 
> the WG alive  just for finishing this single document. Most 
> of the PSAMP WG members are also members of the IPFIX WG.
> Therefore I propose to conclude the PSAMP WG and at the same 
> time to extend the IPFIX WG charter by adding the following text:
>

---

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:26:08 +0200

Dan,

Please find attached an updated charter with adjusted milestones.
I also attached a diff between the current and the proposed new
charter.

Thanks,

    Juergen