Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Remove 1 RTT delayed ack requirement (#3055)

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:30:00 -0700

Fixes #3030
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055

-- Commit Summary --

  * Remove 1 RTT delayed ack requirement

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (9)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:31:01 -0700

@ianswett pushed 1 commit.

3696d8ce68c95063cc6e2e1b9392784f9cf25a24  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055/files/cdad59a14836263a07f85ba9388f50d748f915d6..3696d8ce68c95063cc6e2e1b9392784f9cf25a24

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:36:44 -0700

nibanks approved this pull request.

LGTM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055#pullrequestreview-291242154

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:40:11 -0700

ace2a505a3f8f96c2758458ec523047afe8db92e  Remove obsolete text on ACKing CRYPTO frames

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055/files/3696d8ce68c95063cc6e2e1b9392784f9cf25a24..ace2a505a3f8f96c2758458ec523047afe8db92e

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 15:34:32 -0700

martinthomson approved this pull request.

> @@ -3009,11 +3009,16 @@ guidance offered below seeks to strike this balance.
 An ACK frame SHOULD be generated for at least every second ack-eliciting packet.
 This recommendation is in keeping with standard practice for TCP {{?RFC5681}}.
 
-A receiver's delayed acknowledgment timer SHOULD NOT exceed the current RTT
-estimate or the value it indicates in the `max_ack_delay` transport parameter.
-This ensures an acknowledgment is sent at least once per RTT when packets
-needing acknowledgement are received.  The sender can use the receiver's
-`max_ack_delay` value in determining timeouts for timer-based retransmission.
+An endpoint MUST NOT excessively delay acknowledgements of ack-eliciting
+packets.  An endpoint commits to a maximum delay using the max_ack_delay
+transport parameter; see {{transport-parameter-definitions}}.  max_ack_delay
+declares an explicit contract: an endpoint promises to never delay
+acknowledgments of an ack-eliciting packet by more than the indicated value. If
+it does, any excess accrues to the RTT estimate and could result in delayed
+retransmissions from the peer.  For Initial and Handshake packets, a
+max_ack_delay of 0 is used.  The sender uses the receiver's `max_ack_delay`
+value in determining timeouts for timer-based retransmission, as detailed
+in section 5.2.1 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}.

```suggestion
in Section 5.2.1 of {{QUIC-RECOVERY}}.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055#pullrequestreview-292744200

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 15:34:54 -0700

114d984feb3244348dc8ad773a2db3a1df246338  Update draft-ietf-quic-transport.md

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3055/files/ace2a505a3f8f96c2758458ec523047afe8db92e..114d984feb3244348dc8ad773a2db3a1df246338