Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] Collapse frame errors into HTTP_FRAME_ERROR (#2996)

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 16:57:10 -0700

Even though I am happy to see UNEXPECTED_FRAME and WRONG_STREAM errors getting merged, I am not sure if I like the idea of merging them with FRAME_ERROR.

FRAME_ERROR has been a code that indicates a syntactic error, implying that there is an issue in the frame encoder / parser. The other two error codes are semantic errors of specific type. I think having these two classes of errors indicated clearly helps us resolve issues quickly.

Compared to that, I am not sure if there is any practical advantage in unifying these two classes of errors. I'd assume that all HTTP/3 stacks would have a piece of code decodes a frame (or a varint) and another piece of code that checks if the ID (or the stream that carried the frame) is correct - to paraphrase, the two classes of errors are raised from different locations. Then, what's the problem with using different codes?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2996#issuecomment-526964033

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 17:03:44 -0700

Thanks @kazuho, I do tend to agree with you. 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2996#issuecomment-526964570

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 08:22:10 -0700

I also agree with @kazuho 

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2996#issuecomment-527507559

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 10:41:32 -0700

ok, I made #3003 as a middle ground.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2996#issuecomment-527563504

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 15:19:52 -0700

Closed #2996 via #3003.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2996#event-2623867853