Subject: [RAM] Suggested Reading

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:48:40 -0400

Article:
	XQ Meng & others, "IPv4 address allocation and the BGP
routing table evolution", ACM Computer Communications Review,
Volume 35, Number 1, pp. 71-80, January 2005.  ACM SIGCOMM.

URL for PDF:
	http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~lixia/papers/05CCR_RoutTable.pdf

My Comments:

Figure 15 is particularly useful in helping to categorise deployment
patterns of more specific prefix advertisements.

Table 1 is particularly helpful in mapping those diagrams into
likely operational reasons for each of those patterns to appear
in the operational Internet.

Figure 16 is particularly helpful in taking a snapshot of more
specific prefixes and analysing what percentage of prefixes
had which likely root causes.

My Conclusion:

We really need better mechanisms to enable site/subnetwork/host
multi-homing if we want to reduce the growth of more specific
IP prefix advertisements through BGP.

Please accept apologies for using data in discussions on this list.

Yours,

Ran Atkinson
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram