Subject: Re: [RAM] LISP etc. is not the only path to scalable routing

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:44:02 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>

    > Noel Chiappa wrote:

    >> I am reliably informed .. that the vast majority .. of the gates
    >> (and heat/power) in contemporary large routers are consumed by the
    >> forwarding, and in particular things like access controls.
    >> The RIB and/or FIB are not the issue.

    > With transit routers, I understand that none of this sophistication
    > is required for handling the main Internet traffic.

My original message specified "large routers"; i.e. core routers. I'm not
sure why core routers need these features, but ISP's apparently use (and
are willing to pay for) them.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: Peter Schoenmaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:31:48 -0400

> are willing to pay for) them.

 From my experience, _Core_ interfaces are always missing the one  
feature that _I_ really need.  Also today's core routers become  
tomorrow's edge router.

peter

---

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:01:56 +0000 (GMT)

> > are willing to pay for) them.

people also don't have to stop 20gbps or 15mpps floods of traffic on their
core boxes, oh wait, we do. If it can pass traffic I want/NEED to be able
to filter that traffic. Also keep in mind that a 12410/T640/CRS-1 may be
an enterprise datacenter device which will possibly have acls/filters on
10GE-type interfaces to protect services in said datacenter. (no
reliable/solid 10GE firewall's exist, and you may have multiple 10GE feeds
in your DC)

Skimping on features never is a good plan :( especially not core features.

> feature that _I_ really need.  Also today's core routers become

also quite true.

---

From: Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:14:51 -0700

On Apr 9, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

> If it can pass traffic I want/NEED to be able

What we're seeing in many cases is that these features are a) needed  
at the edge, not the core, and b) they're needed for capacities in  
the mpps.  So, the distinction between core and edge boxes is  
becoming pretty moot, IMHO; the big, fast boxes are needed in both  
roles, and so the features available on boxes in the core will  
increasingly match those of the edge, although some of those features  
are in many cases going to be primarily utilized on the edge and not  
in the core.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]> // 408.527.6376 voice

         Words that come from a machine have no soul.

                       -- Duong Van Ngo