Subject: [RAM] RAM, RRG, RADIR and IDR lists

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:40:41 +1000

To what extent should we be continuing discussions here on
the RAM list?

Is there anything we are currently discussing here which
would not be better discussed on the Routing Research Group
list?

For those who are interested in improvements to BGP, on the
RRG list, Tony Li recently mentioned an I-D which should
appear in the next few days, with some new ideas.

Lixia Zhang wrote to that list:

  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2007/msg00124.html

with references to papers which I understand concern packets
still being delivered during BGP convergence, though perhaps
not via the optimal route.  This raises the question of
how "convergence time" is defined.

The RRG is working on a "Design Goals" I-D.

There are also discussions on the RADIR (Routing and
Addressing Directorate) list, which is a closed list with
public archives:

  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radir

They are working on a "Routing and Addressing Problem
Statement" I-D.

At present, the Inter-Domain Routing list is pretty quiet:

  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

I understand this list is for substantial proposals for BGP,
while more tentative proposals and ideas belong in the RRG.

  - Robin

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:13:11 +0300

If its about incremental changes to BGP, discussion should happen
on the IDR list.

If its about operational practices, measurements,
the plan has been that an OPS area WG, perhaps GROW or
its successor would be the forum for discussion. (But so
far the possible continuation of the GROW WG has not
been decided, as far as I know.)

If its about completely new architectures or research questions
about the routing scalability problem, discussion should happen
on the RRG list.

The RADIR directorate list is for the directorate's own discussions.
They do value input, though, so keep them posted on major
developments or other important issues.

Specific issues about work that is already in other chartered
WGs or RGs should happen on those lists. Current specifications
for HIP, for instance, can be discussed on the HIP RG/WG lists.

And finally, the default route -- the remaining discussions,
e.g., general discussions about the problem statements or
state of the world is for the RAM list.

Jari