Subject: Question about RPT

From: "sunjian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:53:47 +0800

===============
The question is:
If the PDP received a malformed REQ Msg and reply a DEC as following:
   <Decision Message> ::= <Common Header>
                                           <Client Handle>
                                           <Error>

Will the PEP reply a RPT Msg for such DEC?
If the report reply, then what's the report type should be?

Thanks
sunjian
===============

Here is an excerpt from COPS RFC 2748:

   For every DEC message *containing a configuration context* that is
   received by a PEP, the PEP MUST generate a corresponding Report State
   message with the Solicited Message flag set describing its success or
   failure in applying the configuration decision.

An excerpt from COPS-PR RFC 3084:

   ..... * As described below, the PEP MUST respond to each and every DEC with a
   corresponding solicited RPT.

   A COPS-PR DEC message MUST be treated as a single "transaction",
   i.e., either all the decisions in a DEC message succeed or they all
   fail.  *If they fail, the PEP will rollback to its previous good
   state, which is the last successful DEC transaction, if any.  This
   allows the PDP to delete some policies only if other policies can be
   installed in their place.

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:39:17 +0000

Yes, the PEP will reply with a RPT.  The Report Type may be either Success
or Fail depending on the PEP's ability to process the message.
Tina Iliff

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	sunjian [mailto:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Saturday, April 21, 2001 3:54 AM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	Question about RPT

	===============
	The question is:
	If the PDP received a malformed REQ Msg and reply a DEC as
following:
	   <Decision Message> ::= <Common Header>
	                                           <Client Handle>
	                                           <Error>

	Thanks
	sunjian
	===============

	   For every DEC message *containing a configuration context* that
is
	   received by a PEP, the PEP MUST generate a corresponding Report
State
	   message with the Solicited Message flag set describing its
success or
	   failure in applying the configuration decision.

	   ..... * As described below, the PEP MUST respond to each and
every DEC with a
	   corresponding solicited RPT.

	   A COPS-PR DEC message MUST be treated as a single "transaction",
	   i.e., either all the decisions in a DEC message succeed or they
all
	   fail.  *If they fail, the PEP will rollback to its previous good
	   state, which is the last successful DEC transaction, if any.
This
	   allows the PDP to delete some policies only if other policies can
be
	   installed in their place.