Subject: COPS-PR DEC NamedClientSI object and framework-pib-04 Notify PRCs

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:14:59 +0000

All,

I need a little clarification on a certain topic:  The COPS-PR NamedClientSI
object.  Here is an excerpt from COPS-PR RFC 3084:
The REQ from a policy provisioning client contains a COPS
'Configuration Request' context object and, optionally, any relevant named
client specific information from the PEP.

Now, here is an excerpt from framework-pib-04:
The PIB indicates which capabilities the PEP must report to the PDP by means
of the PIB-ACCESS clause as described in [SPPI]. 

Now, should the "must" in the framework-pib-04 be removed?  I am currently
interpreting this excerpt to mean that the PDP MUST expect all Notify PRCs
in the NamedClientSI objects.  However, RFC 3084 states that the
NamedClientSI is optional and that a REQ may include 0 or more of these
objects.  

Another question:  Should a PDP send a DEC Null if no NamedClientSI objects
are encapsulated in the REQ or should defaults be assumed or is that an
implementation choice?

Tina Iliff

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:11:07 +0000

An addition to the excerpts and questions in the below e-mail:

Here is an excerpt from draft-ietf-rap-sppi-05:

-   the value "install" is used to indicate a PRC which a PDP can install in
the PEP as provisioning information. 
-	the value "notify" is used to indicate a PRC for which the PEP must
notify the PDP of all its instances and attribute values of that PRC.
-	 - the value "install-notify" is used to indicate the uncommon type
of PRC which has both characteristics: "install" and "notify". 

The framework-pib-04 draft does reference this draft.  This draft also uses
the word "must" for the PIB-ACCESS value of "notify".  Should there be a bis
for RFC3084 to specify that for Client-Type of 2 the NamedClientSI object is
mandatory or should it be mandatory for all COPS-PR Client Types?

Regards,
Tina Iliff

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Iliff, Tina 
		Sent:	Thursday, April 12, 2001 4:15 PM
		To:	[email-masked]'
		Cc:	Sunlin, Richard (c); Rawlins, Diana
		Subject:	COPS-PR DEC NamedClientSI object and
framework-pib-04 Notify PRCs

		All,

		I need a little clarification on a certain topic:  The
COPS-PR NamedClientSI object.  Here is an excerpt from COPS-PR RFC 3084:
		The REQ from a policy provisioning client contains a COPS
		'Configuration Request' context object and, optionally, any
relevant named client specific information from the PEP.

		Now, here is an excerpt from framework-pib-04:
		The PIB indicates which capabilities the PEP must report to
the PDP by means of the PIB-ACCESS clause as described in [SPPI]. 

		Now, should the "must" in the framework-pib-04 be removed?
I am currently interpreting this excerpt to mean that the PDP MUST expect
all Notify PRCs in the NamedClientSI objects.  However, RFC 3084 states that
the NamedClientSI is optional and that a REQ may include 0 or more of these
objects.  

		Another question:  Should a PDP send a DEC Null if no
NamedClientSI objects are encapsulated in the REQ or should defaults be
assumed or is that an implementation choice?

		Tina Iliff

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:47:10 +0000

Tina Iliff
MCIWorldCom ENSD
(972)729-1620

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Iliff, Tina 
		Sent:	Thursday, April 12, 2001 4:15 PM
		To:	[email-masked]'
		Cc:	Sunlin, Richard (c); Rawlins, Diana
		Subject:	COPS-PR DEC NamedClientSI object and

		All,

		Tina Iliff