Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt]

From: Yacine El Mghazli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:55:43 +0200

Hi all,

FYI...

yacine

> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 
> 	Title		: Network Management Observations
> 	Author(s)	: A. Bierman
> 	Filename	: draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 16
> 	Date		: 21-Jun-02
> 	
> This memo contains observations on the progress of standards based
> network management efforts within the IETF. In particular, it describes
> technical and process oriented deficiencies which have delayed the
> creation and adoption of standards for network device configuration, and
> offers recommendations for correcting these deficiencies.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt
> 
> To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
> ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
> "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
> type "cd internet-drafts" and then
> 	"get draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt".
> 
> A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> 
> 
> Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
> 
> Send a message to:
> 	[email-masked].
> In the body type:
> 	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt".
> 	
> NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
> 	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
> 	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
> 	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
> 	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
> 	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
> 	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
> 	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
> 	how to manipulate these messages.
> 		
> 		
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
> Internet-Draft.
> 

Internet Draft                                             Andy Bierman
                                                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                                           21 June 2002

                    Network Management Observations

                 <draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with all
provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 [RFC2026].

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering Task
Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that other groups
may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference material
or to cite them other than as "work in progress".

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Distribution of this document is unlimited. Please send comments to the
SMIng WG mailing list <[email-masked]>.

1.  Copyright Notice

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2002).  All Rights Reserved.

2.  Abstract

This memo contains observations on the progress of standards based
network management efforts within the IETF. In particular, it describes



Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

technical and process oriented deficiencies which have delayed the
creation and adoption of standards for network device configuration, and
offers recommendations for correcting these deficiencies.

3.  Table of Contents

1 Copyright Notice ................................................    1
2 Abstract ........................................................    1
3 Table of Contents ...............................................    2
4 Overview ........................................................    2
5 Observations ....................................................    3
5.1 Why CLI is So Successful ......................................    3
5.1.1 Importance of ASCII .........................................    4
5.1.2 Affects of Console Management ...............................    4
5.1.3 Command Oriented Transaction Model ..........................    5
5.1.4 Scripting Tools .............................................    5
5.2 Why SNMP Isn't Working For Configuration ......................    6
5.2.1 SNMP Set Isn't Simple .......................................    6
5.2.2 Management Data Definitions .................................    7
5.2.3 Transport Protocol ..........................................    7
5.3 How We Can Improve the NM Standards Process ...................    8
5.3.1 Increase Customer Input .....................................    8
5.3.2 Recognize The Diverse Customer Base .........................    9
5.3.3 Speedup the Standards Process ...............................    9
5.3.4 Reduce Uncoordinated Standards Efforts ......................   10
5.3.5 Increase Configuration Standards Awareness ..................   11
5.4 Recommended Strategic Technology Initiatives ..................   11
5.4.1 New Version of the SMI ......................................   11
5.4.2 Management Protocol Enhancements ............................   11
5.4.3 Network Wide Management .....................................   13
5.4.4 More High Level Management Features .........................   13
6 Acknowledgements ................................................   14
7 Normative References ............................................   14
8 Security Considerations .........................................   15
9 Author's Address ................................................   15
10 Full Copyright Statement .......................................   16

4.  Overview

There has been a great deal of progress in the last 14 years in the area
of standards based network monitoring. The Simple Network Management
Protocol (SNMP) has matured and been widely deployed for this purpose.
A significant number of managed objects have been added to the
Management Information Base (MIB) over time as well.

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 2]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

However, there has not been significant advancement in the development
of standard management technologies for network device configuration
over the same time period. Instead, network devices are predominately
configured via a proprietary command line interface (CLI).

There are several factors contributing to this situation, not all of
them technical issues. It is not possible to identify a single problem
area responsible for this lack of progress, and therefore not possible
to identify a simple fix to the problem.  It is also not useful to rank
the importance or damage caused by specific problems.

This memo contains observations on the positive and negative aspects of
the standards based technology and processes developed within the IETF
for network management, and offers some recommendations for improvement
in this area. It focuses on CLI and SNMP technology, since this
represents the vast majority of the deployed solutions for configuration
management of network devices.  It also focuses on network device
configuration, since this is the most crucial aspect of network
management that is poorly addressed by standards based solutions.

5.  Observations

There are several contributing factors preventing the advancement of
standards based configuration.  These observations are divided into four
sections:

   1) Why CLI is so successful
   2) Why SNMP isn't working for configuration
   3) How we can improve the NM standards process
   4) Recommended strategic technology initiatives

5.1.  Why CLI is So Successful

The most prevalent technology used for the configuration of network
devices is the proprietary CLI.  The most obvious reason for this fact
is "Because it's there".  Operators need a consistent API that will
always be available, which is located in the device, and which exists
from the very first release of a feature.

CLI has maintained its top position, even though it is proprietary.  It
is used as a human interface and a programming interface, even though as
an API it is relatively unstable. There is no consistent data model, no
coherent change control process, no well structured documentation, no
consistent error codes.  It lacks all of the features that a supposedly
successful API (such as SNMP) offers, yet it is still the most widely

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 3]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

used approach by operators.  Obviously, the positive attributes must
outweigh the deficiencies. So what is CLI doing right?  Some of the
reasons include:

   - ASCII encoding
   - similar to unix shell
   - session oriented (over TCP)
   - always available, especially out-of-band
   - relatively easy for vendors to implement
   - command-oriented, high-level transaction model

5.1.1.  Importance of ASCII

The ASCII encoding of CLI commands is significant.  CLI commands can be
collected together and maintained in a simple text file. This provides a
self-documenting, concise representation of the desired state of the
networking device.  This file (or portions of it) can be easily edited,
emailed, searched, compared to other configuration files, cut-and-
pasted, and transferred to and from the CLI parser.

An operator can perform all these functions with mature, easy-to-use,
cheap (or even free), widely available software tools. This is
important, especially since there is a natural tendency in the operator
community avoid learning new tools, buying expensive tools, trusting
'closed format' tools, and relying on external management devices which
will not be available if the inband communication to the managed device
fails.

5.1.2.  Affects of Console Management

During initial device configuration and during network outages, an
operator needs to examine device state and change device configuration
via an out-of-band connection.  This important task requires significant
training and an advanced skill set. Traditionally, operators connect a
dumb terminal directly to the console port and interact with the device
via a human friendly CLI.  Because the training costs involved in
maintaining network devices are significant, it is undesirable to train
operators to use different toolsets for inband and out-of-band
management.  There is also a desire to limit reliance on complex tools
beyond the simple ASCII processing software and hardware traditionally
used to manage a device via the console port.

The comfort level with CLI, which is oriented for human interaction, is
impacted by the type of customer. The need for scalable and automated
tools for management increases as the tolerance for service disruption

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 4]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

risk decreases, and as the number of managed devices increases.

5.1.3.  Command Oriented Transaction Model

The CLI uses a command oriented transaction model, as opposed to the
data oriented transaction model used by SNMP, and operators seem to
prefer this higher level abstraction.  A CLI parser acts upon one
command at a time, and each command must be complete.  One downside is
that there is no proper distinction between a 'create' command and an
'edit' command, so the notion of a complete command varies in relation
to the current state of the managed device.  For 'create' commands, all
mandatory parameters must be present or the command will fail. However,
the same command may also be used to edit existing state, in which case
only the parameters present will be changed (as expected).  Vendors like
this simple transaction model because there are relatively few corner
cases to support, no complicated rollback to support, and no dribble-in
input which creates temporary intermediate state to maintain.

While the command line represents the lowest level transaction, a higher
layer abstraction is also used by operators.  It is recognized that one
or more commands are required to complete the state change for an
arbitrary feature.  This ordered list of commands can be called a
'configlet'.  One or more configlets make up a configuration file, and
the configuration file represents the entire desired configuration state
of the managed device.  Usually, the configuration file contains a
section for each network interface on the device.  This transaction
model and file structure is generally supported by all vendors, even
though the command syntax varies for each vendor.

5.1.4.  Scripting Tools

There is widespread use of scripting tools, which interact with the CLI
interface, for the purpose of automating configuration management tasks.
The problem with this approach is the inherent instability of the CLI
interface, which is designed for humans. Change control for proprietary
CLIs is not as rigorous as the change control applied to MIB definitions
(either proprietary or standard). There is also no expectation of
reusability of such scripts across vendors, or sometimes even different
products from the same vendor.

There are significant advantages to scripting tools however.  Once an
operator learns a particular scripting toolset, such as Perl or Expect,
there are few additional training costs beyond the knowledge of specific
CLI dialects, which the network operator must know anyway in order to
manage the device from the console.  Even when a script breaks due to

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 5]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

instability of the CLI from one version to the next, it is often a
trivial matter to repair the script.  Also, these scripts operate on the
same commands whether inband or console port access is used, so they can
be utilized even when the device cannot be reached inband.

It is desirable to somehow apply the rigorous change control found in
MIBs, as well as the common semantics offered by MIBs, to the scripting
tool environment.  Other common features, such as consistent error
codes, consistent CLI parser behavior, and a core set of common parser
commands would also greatly improve the usefulness of scripting tools.

5.2.  Why SNMP Isn't Working For Configuration

Although SNMP is being used for configuration for some features and
platforms, it is not widely used for general configuration of network
devices.  Even still, it is the most widely used technology except
proprietary CLI for this task.  There are a number of factors why SNMP
has not replaced CLI as the primary technology for configuration.

It has been said that the reason SNMP is not used for configuration is
that it lacks security.  Although this is a valid concern, it turns out
that security is one of several pre-requisites for widespread adoption.
It may not even be the most important reason. It should be noted that
until recently, CLI used telnet as an application protocol, and
passwords were passed in cleartext, just as community strings are passed
in all versions of SNMP except SNMPv3. Perhaps if SNMPv3 had been
completed before the widespread adoption of SSH, its use would be more
widespread, but that did not happen.

5.2.1.  SNMP Set Isn't Simple

Contrary to the name, development and maintenance of SNMP agent and
application technology is not simple, compared to CLI.  The primary
reason is that the protocol state machine for Set operations is much
more complicated than for CLI.  The protocol allows for arbitrarily
complex transactions, in which multiple partial and unrelated rows may
be passed to the agent, and the agent is expected to complete these
transactions (as best it can) in an all-or-none fashion, and as if
simultaneously.  Instead of the command as the basic transaction unit, a
single parameter to a command is the basic transaction unit. This
unwarranted complex state machine is much more difficult to design and
test than comparable CLI code accomplishing the same task.

To make matters worse, there is no distinction in the protocol between
create, edit, and delete operations.  Instead these protocol operations

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 6]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

are encoded as data, represented by a RowStatus MIB object in each row
of a configurable table.

There are other reasons SNMP application development is more complicated
than CLI scripting tools, such as a lack of high-level elements of
procedure for configuration.  MIBs do not consistently specify the
creation order and other high level operational requirements to complete
a given functional task.  CLI documentation tends to be much more task
oriented, and devices are expected to support a specific procedure to
complete a given task.

5.2.2.  Management Data Definitions

The Structure of Management Information (SMI) used within the IETF for
MIB definitions is partly responsible for the high cost of SNMP
development.  The only mechanism for data reuse in the SMI is the
refinement of base types (textual conventions).  The data structure
definition capability is limited to simple arrays of scalar data types.

The expression of complex data structures is accomplished by creating
associated arrays of scalar objects, connected by common index
components. This practice leads to data structures which are difficult
to read and difficult to implement.  This is especially harmful for
configuration, because the additional complexity of multiple writable
tables causes creation order dependencies.

5.2.3.  Transport Protocol

SNMP messages are transported over UDP, which has traditionally limited
the maximum message size to an unreasonably small number.  This has
impacted MIB and application design.  The 'createAndWait' RowStatus
state exists primarily to cope with this limitation, allowing
configuration creation operations to be split across two or more
transactions.  MIBs are also designed with this size constraint in mind.
Individual objects are sometimes arbitrary sized so a single instance
will always fit in a 484 octet payload.

UDP does not guarantee that packets will be delivered in order, or that
only one copy of of the packet will be delivered.  This adds unwarranted
complexity to the design of MIBs, applications, and agents.

Application design is also more complicated because retrieval of large
(high-level) objects, such as an entire routing table, is achieved with
several GetNext or GetBulk transactions.  It is costly and inefficient
to handle fragmentation and reassembly in the application layer.  If

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 7]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

large messages were supported (over TCP), then application design would
be simplified.  New solutions oriented protocol operations to handle
retrieval of dynamic tables, such as a copy-then-transfer operation,
would also simplify application design.  There is a cost to be realized
in the agent for this simplicity in the application, but the cost is
worth the potential benefits.

5.3.  How We Can Improve the NM Standards Process

There are several steps that can be taken to improve the effectiveness
of network management standards.

5.3.1.  Increase Customer Input

For a variety of reasons, the standards development process for network
management has failed in recent years to adequately solicit and respond
to the needs of customers, which include the engineers who develop
networking products and the operators who use those products.  Software
developers have complained that SNMP agents are too costly to develop
and maintain, relative to CLI technology.  Application developers have
complained that a lack of a consistent data model and clear elements of
procedure make it difficult to write common code that works for multiple
platforms. Network operators have simply stopped paying attention to
SNMP standards for configuration, and few enable SNMP writes in their
network.

The result is that SNMP based software tools for configuration are not
widely available, nor are they widely deployed by network operators.
Over the years, operators continued to use proprietary CLI based tools,
and SNMP standards writers proceeded to create technology without much
input from these customers.

Other standards efforts (besides SNMP) exist in this space, but nothing
that even approaches the deployment level of SNMP based tools for
network configuration.  It is possible that other standards for network
management could be more successful than SNMP, but none have succeeded
so far.

It is therefore most important that SNMP standards writers make a
serious effort to get the network operators involved in the standards
process, and be willing to re-think assumptions about product
requirements formulated in the absence of customer input.

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 8]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

5.3.2.  Recognize The Diverse Customer Base

There is a tendency to characterize the needs of network operators as if
they were a single like-minded group, with a single set of priorities
and requirements.  This is far from the truth.

Network operators can roughly be divided into two groups, consisting of
Enterprise and Service Provider customers.  However, these
classifications are less and less useful as enterprise networks get
larger and service providers offer more application oriented services.

It may be more useful to classify members of this diverse group with a
continuum related the their tolerance for risk.  At one extreme are
large Internet backbone operators who tend to utilize a relatively
homogeneous set of products, and are very concerned about even the
smallest network device outage, since a single device affects a large
number of end users.  At the other extreme are small or medium size
enterprise operators, who tend to utilize a relatively heterogeneous set
of products and are less concerned about the outage of a single device,
since a single device affects a relatively small number of users.

Another way customers can be differentiated is by the number of managed
devices controlled within a single administrative domain, which affects
their need for scalable management solutions.  At one extreme there are
backbone operators managing a relatively small number of core routers,
and at the other extreme are broadband service providers managing
thousands of similar devices, such as cable modems.

The impact of this diversity is that there are significant differences
in their configuration requirements, and it not optimal (or possible) to
satisfy these requirements with a single one-size-fits-all solution. We
should not expect that all management features will be utilized by all
operators.

5.3.3.  Speedup the Standards Process

The process by which standard network management interfaces are created
is non-optimal.  There has been a great reluctance to create mechanisms
for configuration (such as writable MIB objects).  There are two main
reasons for this phenomenon:

Standards are hard
     It is often very time consuming to get a working group to agree on
     the management model and then the manageable knobs that should
     exist for a given technology.  Such efforts are often neglected

Expires December 21, 2002                                       [Page 9]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

     altogether or deferred for a future release.

     Delays in development of standards mean that proprietary solutions
     will be created by vendors in the interim. Once a vendor (or
     customer) application developer has created tools which utilize
     this interim proprietary solution, there is little incentive to
     devote additional resources to replace the proprietary mechanisms
     with standard mechanisms later.  This tends to defer the creation
     and deployment of the standard mechanisms forever.

Low expectations for standard solutions
     There is often little to no customer expectation that a standard
     management interface be created for a given technology. There is
     the perception that development of such an interface will delay
     products, and such development can be omitted or done later.
     However, delays in standard mechanisms often mean they will not be
     deployed (see above).

5.3.4.  Reduce Uncoordinated Standards Efforts

One reason for the difficulty in creating management applications is the
lack of a overall coordinated effort across working groups. This is
partly due to the lack of reusability features in the SMI, and lack of a
coherent data model, but it is also due to a lack of a mindset that
stresses and enforces reusable definitions.

This attitude can be partially attributed to an understandable
reluctance to complicate or expand a working group's specific charter to
include more generalized solutions. It is also related to the reluctance
of a working group to place documents on the standards track that
contain normative references to other documents outside the direct
control of the working group.

There are also no efficient mechanisms available to allow working groups
to investigate and track documents in other working groups.  It is
difficult for individuals to follow the large number of Internet Drafts
produced each year. There is no centralized authority that actively
attempts to coordinate efforts which are related, or rigorously require
working groups to leverage outside work.

In addition to technical improvements to increase reusability, the IETF
needs to improve the standards process to better facilitate development
of reusable management interfaces.  Tools which allow people to easily
determine the MIB modules exist that are relevant to a particular
subject (e.g., a MIB module navigation tool) are needed.

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 10]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

5.3.5.  Increase Configuration Standards Awareness

The most important change that can occur is for individual working
groups to create configuration management interfaces (e.g., writable MIB
objects) as early in the standards process as possible.  This will
require increased effort and dedication, but the end result will be an
increase in the quantity and quality of management applications.

5.4.  Recommended Strategic Technology Initiatives

The following technology initiatives are suggested to improve the
quality of IETF standards for network configuration.  They hopefully
build on the strengths of CLI and SNMP-based network management.

5.4.1.  New Version of the SMI

The SMING working group is actively attempting to improve the
capability, readability, and reusability of the SMI by introducing
hierarchical object naming and aggregate object definitions.

For many years, the IETF has attempted to define MIBs in a manner that
did not suggest any particular implementation strategy. This resulted in
data definitions that are too abstract, which do not correspond well to
the data structures actually present in any implementations.  This
practice should end, and common data structure constructs, such as
arrays, structures, and unions should be introduced into MIBs. Nesting
of aggregate data structures is also important to increase the
usefulness of MIBs.

It also also important that high level elements of procedure are
carefully considered and explained in MIB documents. If possible, a
single mandatory high-level procedure should be documented for each
configurable feature.  Agent implementations should not be prevented
from supporting additional high-level procedures.  (E.g, a mandatory
procedure may call for a create-and-go type of operation, but this does
not prevent an implementation from supporting a create-and-wait type of
operation as well.)

5.4.2.  Management Protocol Enhancements

A new management protocol is needed, which leverages as many features of
SNMP as possible, while providing new capabilities.  The following new
features should be included:

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 11]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

TCP for the Transport Protocol
     A session-oriented transaction model and large message sizes can be
     more easily supported if UDP is replaced with TCP as the transport
     protocol.

Transfer of Aggregate Objects
     There is a need to move large aggregate objects in addition to the
     individual MIB objects that SNMP can manipulate, such as the
     aggregate data structures that will be possible with the new SMI
     improvements.

SubTree Oriented Bulk Retrieval
     The current GetBulk protocol operation is not optimized for the
     retrieval of a particular MIB sub-tree. New operations to retrieve
     the specified (GetSubTree) or the lexinext subtree (GetNextSubTree)
     are needed to allow an application to more easier transfer a large
     group of MIB objects. These special operations are also needed in a
     TCP environment, in which data is streamed back to the application,
     instead of waiting for a new 'start' condition after every packet.

XML Encoding
     The new protocol should utilize XML encoded messages, rather than
     ASN.1/BER encoded messages. XML can be easily parsed by humans and
     machines. XML tool support for a number of disciplines is growing
     rapidly, while ASN.1/BER is not used in any application except
     SNMP.

Replace RowStatus with Protocol Operations
     The RowStatus mechanism should be replaced with explicit protocol
     operations for create, edit, and delete.  This can simplify agent
     and application implementations.  There is also a growing consensus
     that RowStatus is too complicated.  It is common for agent
     developers to support a minimum set of RowStatus enumerations
     (e.g., createAndGo and delete).  As aggregate data objects are
     introduced into the SMI, use of RowStatus for configuration will
     get even more complicated. Error handling code may benefit from
     distinct create and edit operations.

PDU Chaining
     It would be beneficial to create complex protocol operations from
     two or more simple operations, which can be thought of as 'PDU
     chaining' or 'chunk' operations. This would allow for a transaction
     model similar to that used in a CLI.  Instead of requiring a series
     of packets, or requiring the agent to process a large number of
     varbinds at once, configuration operations can be treated as an

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 12]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

     ordered sequence of distinct, but related commands.  Rollback and
     corner case logic would be easier to design if the transaction
     model was enhanced in this manner.

PDU Chaining Options for All-or-none, Stop-on-error
     Complex operations such as 'delete, then recreate' could be
     constructed in a single packet, using chained PDUs with certain
     options. An all-or-none option would require the agent to validate
     all chained protocol operations before performing any of them (this
     is a best-effort, not foolproof validation).  Another option to
     stop (or continue) on any chained protocol operation error would
     also be useful to emulate CLI transaction behavior.

Query Transaction
     A protocol operation which provides an SQL SELECT type of operation
     is needed. Simple GetNext or GetBulk operations require that all
     possible search criteria are accounted for, and all criteria must
     be present in INDEX components.  More complex search criteria
     (e.g., return ifInOctets and ifOutOctets for all interfaces that
     have ifOperStatus=='up(1)' and ifType=='fastEther(62)') are needed
     to provide faster retrieval, especially for managed devices that
     contain a large number of interfaces or other common monitored
     attributes.

5.4.3.  Network Wide Management

Tools are needed which allow an operator to manage groups of devices as
a single logical entity or manage a network wide service in a single
operation, instead of a series of steps on multiple forwarding devices.

There may be some standards work needed to facilitate this type of
technology, but an important first step is to reduce the complexity and
diversity of the management operations for an arbitrary device or
service.

Concurrently, steps should be taken immediately to identify the
requirements for network-wide management, so support for such operations
can be built into the standard mechanisms used to manage a single
device.

5.4.4.  More High Level Management Features

Additional high level features that will make network management easier
include:

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 13]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

Configuration Templates
     The primary motivation for introducing template capabilities in
     some fashion is the same for configuration management as it is for
     software development -- information hiding, controlled reusability,
     and tiered access control to specific parameters. Additional
     capabilities, such as the ability to upload, download, and modify
     templates may be needed to support this feature.

Wildcard Operations
     Wildcarding allows a single set of commands to be applied to
     multiple instances (e.g., rows) in a single high-level protocol
     operation. This reduces the bandwidth required, and allows
     configuration to be applied without explicitly specifying every
     instance that needs to be affected.  Additional error codes may be
     needed to support this feature.

Named Configurations
     Many network devices support the ability to save and restore more
     than a single configuration file.  At a minimum, it is common to
     differentiate between the running configuration and the
     configuration that will be loaded on the next reboot.  The SNMP
     management framework should support this common feature.  It is not
     clear what protocol enhancements are needed for this support.

Better Integration With CLI Security
     Better integration with CLI oriented access control and
     authentication technology is needed. Operators are reluctant to
     deploy SNMP Security because it requires separate security
     administration. This reluctance would be reduced if investments in
     existing tools and technology for CLI security could be leveraged.

6.  Acknowledgements

Some comments in this memo have been previously articulated by various
people in various forums, such as IETF meetings, and the dilbert-
[email-masked] mailing list.

7.  Normative References

[RFC2026]
     Bradner, S., "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 3", RFC
     2026, Harvard University, October, 1996.

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 14]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

8.  Security Considerations

This memo discusses current network management trends and does not
introduce any new security threats.

9.  Author's Address

     Andy Bierman
     Cisco Systems, Inc.
     170 West Tasman Drive
     San Jose, CA USA 95134
     Phone: +1 408-527-3711
     Email: [email-masked]

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 15]


Internet Draft       Network Management Observations       June 21, 2002

10.  Full Copyright Statement

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2002).  All Rights Reserved.

This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published and
distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are included
on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this document itself
may not be modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice
or references to the Internet Society or other Internet organizations,
except as needed for the purpose of developing Internet standards in
which case the procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet
Standards process must be followed, or as required to translate it into
languages other than English.

The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS
IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK
FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT
INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Expires December 21, 2002                                      [Page 16]