Subject: PRID question

From: "Pedro Neves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:29:00 +0100

Dear All:

I am working with COPS-PR and I have a doubt with the Instance Identifier
field in the PRID object.

NOTE: When encoding an xxxTable's xxxEntry Object-Type as defined by

   the SMI [V2SMI] and SPPI [SPPI], the OID will contain all the sub-

   identifiers up to and including the xxxEntry OID but not the columnar

   identifiers for the attributes within the xxxEntry's SEQUENCE.  The

   last (suffix) identifier is the INDEX of an instance of an entire
xxxEntry 

   including its SEQUENCE of attributes encoded in the EPD

   (defined below).  This constitutes an instance (PRI) of a class (PRC)

   in terms of the SMI.

   A PRID for a scalar (non-columnar) value's OID is encoded directly as

   the PRC where the instance identifier suffix is always zero as there

   will be only one instance of a scalar value.  The EPD will then be

   used to convey the scalar value.

Suppose we have an exampleTable (1.3.6.2.1) with exampleEntry (1.3.6.2.1.1).
The table is the following:

----------------------------------------------------

| FlowID | Priority | Source Address|

---------------------------------------------------

|     64     |     4     |  192.110.10.8  |

---------------------------------------------------

|     43     |     2     |  193.168.92.2  |

---------------------------------------------------

INDEX = FlowID

Now, suppose we want to change the first line of the table. How will we fill
the Instance Identifier field from the PRID object???

            PRID Instance Identifier: 1.3.6.2.1.1.64  ?????

In this case, since we are changing an existing line in the table we must
specify the INDEX in order to change the line?????

Now, suppose we want to add a new line (new instance) to the table. How will
we fill the Instance Identifier field from the PRID object???

            PRID Instance Identifier: 1.3.6.2.1.1  ??????

In this case, since we are adding a new line in the table, we must not
specify the INDEX of the table???? Will the INDEX of the table be specified
in the EPD object?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Pedro Neves