Subject: Re: [Rfced-future] Summary points, tracking, discussing, etc.

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 21:07:42 -0700

A question I've been wondering is the separation of RSE and IANA into
totally separate paths.
In a "living standard" world, the lines are blurred.
--
https://LarryMasinter.net https://going-remote.info

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 00:20:48 -0400

Even if you asssume (which I do not) THAT rfcs were to become fully 
dynamic documents instead of archival grade standards, that still would 
not make the IANA protocol data repository interchangable with the RFCs. 
  The IANA data is the protocol registry.  It collects and organizes the 
assignments from multiple RFCs.  It also includes (in an organized an 
usable fashion) data from other sources when teh registry permits such 
things.

Also remember that IANA tracks number assignments.

These were separate well before the other changes in the structure of 
the RSE.  I would hope that we are not going to confuse the process of 
defining the role or the ~RSE~ (whatever we decide that means) with the 
IANA functions.  Please.

Yours,
Joel