Subject: [Rfced-future] Point of clarification on terms

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 23:25:06 +0100

When we say, “strategic body” we have been thinking in terms of either RSEB or WG.  Since we are now talking about something of a hybrid, in that context just to be clear:

“WG” is open to all to participate and contribute.
“Review Body” would be the body that reviews anything that comes out of the WG.

We can come up with niftier names as time goes on.  More important is to lay out the boundaries of authority for each of these, as well as procedure, assuming this is the direction people would like to move.

Eliot

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 13:46:57 -0500

--On Sunday, December 27, 2020 23:25 +0100 Eliot Lear
<lear=[email-masked]> wrote:

> 
> When we say, "strategic body" we have been thinking in
> terms of either RSEB or WG.  Since we are now talking about
> something of a hybrid, in that context just to be clear:
> 
> "WG" is open to all to participate and contribute.
> "Review Body" would be the body that reviews anything that
> comes out of the WG.
> 
> We can come up with niftier names as time goes on.  More
> important is to lay out the boundaries of authority for each
> of these, as well as procedure, assuming this is the direction
> people would like to move.

A colleague of ours, one who is probably too smart to be
following this list, once suggested (approximately... don't
remember the exact quote) that another body in the Internet
administration and standards space was an experiment in how many
bureaucrats, politicians, and lawyers it took at replace one
part-time engineer.  As we create, and then try to carefully
define, more and more structure, presumably because we do not
trust ourselves to appoint or hire the right individuals and
hold them accountable (for their work rather than for not
saluting every time some other body comes to a conclusion), I
wonder if we are not heading down the same path with the RFC
Editor function.

    john