Subject: [Rfid] Discovery/scalability discussion

From: Scott Barvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:38:46 -0500

I'd like to see if have any experience on the list concerning the state
of the art and RFCs on the topic of scalable deployment of large numbers
of devices (readers in our case) and the discovery and connection to a
service providing device (the SLRRP RNC).   This should have more to do
with being a good network citizen and not much to do with RFID proper.

I expect there to be good analogies in the IP phone, CAPWAP, even access
routing spaces, but I haven't kept up on the RFCs and I'm not quite sure
of the implementation state of things like Zeroconf/SLP/etc. 

A couple points here.

o The current draft specifies connection initiation by the reader
assuming that it has discovered its upstream RNC.  This was chosen
expecting that the most scalable operation was to have the readers
obtain their IP address, then discover the RNC service, then connect to
the provider of that service.  Other initiation sequences are possible
and the SLRRP protocol doesn't/shouldn't care who initiated the TCP
connection.

o We may decide to not cover discovery in the SLRRP spec (leaving it for
a subsequent document), but I've had private comments on the connection
wording so a discussion about those words at least is necessary. 
However, it seems possible that we can get close on the discovery plan
so that we will have confidence in the SLRRP operations such as
authentication and connection management.

Thoughts?

Scott

_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid