Subject: [Rfid] Re: A few fundamental questions

From: "Sapan Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:13:25 -0500 (EST)

Krishna,

I am confused - I believe SLRPP is for the communication between the
reader and the RNC - a software application - as I take or a router, for
example.

==
Why would any air protocol matter to me? The readers are a set of devices
which would have their own embedded code that will have the algorithm for
interacting with/through the air protocol for reading the tags.

As long as I have my reader on the network and my RNC (Any software that
wants to read and process the tag list further) is able to send commands
to the Reader, why would it matter to me as to what and how many air
protocols are defined? I agree that RNC would be needed to control the
read cycles so as to optimize the "Reader Network" efficiency, but again
it doest it depend on the "air-protocols" per se'?

I mean, All I would expect is sending a binary / ascii command to the
reader and it responding back to me and the algorithm would be with me to
contrl the network- Please correct me I am wrong.

Regards
Sapan

Sapan Shah
Patni Computer Systems Ltd
http://www.patni.com
513-243-9071

> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 15:31, Sapan Shah wrote:
>> Krishna,
>>
>> I did go through the draft documents and it does look intersting.
>> However
>> have a few questions before I can move on with contributing on the
>> specs.
>>
>
> Sapan,
> First off, thank you for taking the time to read the draft. Now to your
> questions ...
>
>> I am considering a hetrogenous environment with readers of multiple
>> brands
>> and multiple standards installed in the same facility - so as to
>> leverage
>> the max out of the protocol specs and find out what can be missing - if
>> there is anything.
>>
>> Let us say, we have like 3 readers that follow EPc Standards and 3
>> Readers
>> that follow ISO Standards. The Reader Network Controller - as the
>> definition suggests will be / can be a software server as well. If we
>> take
>> this into consideration then on the EPC Front, The Device Management
>> Layer
>> within ALE / The RM and RP will be taking care of all the commands to be
>> sent out to the reader. What is left out, will be the ISO Standards -
>> which

_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid

---

From: "Sapan Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:14:28 -0500 (EST)

Krishna,

==

Regards
Sapan

Sapan Shah

---

From: "Sapan Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:31:06 -0500 (EST)

Further,

I am attaching a diagram that I thought would help me clearing up with my
doubts.