Subject: [Rfid] Fundamental Questions

From: "Sapan Shah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:35:14 -0500 (EST)

Folks,

I did go through the draft documents and it does look intersting. However
 have a few questions before I can move on with contributing on the specs.

 I am considering a hetrogenous environment with readers of multiple brands
 and multiple standards installed in the same facility - so as to leverage
 the max out of the protocol specs and find out what can be missing - if
 there is anything.

 Let us say, we have like 3 readers that follow EPc Standards and 3 Readers
 that follow ISO Standards. The Reader Network Controller - as the
 definition suggests will be / can be a software server as well. If we take
 this into consideration then on the EPC Front, The Device Management Layer
 within ALE / The RM and RP will be taking care of all the commands to be
 sent out to the reader. What is left out, will be the ISO Standards -
 which the RNC will be commanding. The EPc Standards, I dont think will
 support the RNC.

 Although, the IP  based configuration that we are trying to specify over
 here is different in the aspects of Binary data being conveyed through IP
 Packets, would not it be a complicated situation, when the standards are
 recognized and accepted? I mean, If There are EPC Standards / Middlewares
 that already have their readers up and running on the network and they
 accept commands in a specific format. How do we plan to merge applications
 with them?

Sapan

_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid