Subject: [Rfid] SLRRP BoF approved for March IETF meeting

From: "Scott Barvick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:09:31 -0500

We have been approved for a BoF (Birds of a Feather) session at the March IETF meeting.  This is the next step in the Working Group formation process whereby we meet in an open session to establish the interest level in the proposed effort.  We will work through a more specific agenda on this list, but the general idea is to provide an overview prsentation of the SLRRP Working Group goals, review the draft charter, and discuss general architectural directions and goals.   

The BoF is not a lengthy session, but it is important for demonstrating the interest in this effort to the other members and leadership of the IETF community.  I encourage all who are interested in moving forward with true standard for RFID reader network communications and operations to attend this session.  

I am also pleased to announced that Marshall Rose will be co-chairing the BoF.  Marshall brings extensive IETF and networking experience to the table, particularly in the areas of network management.  I probably won't do him justice on the career summary front, so I'll let him jump in if he'd like to:)

The March IETF meeting will be held March 6-11 in Minneapolis, MN, USA.  The exact date of the meeting will be sent out as soon as it is known.   Details for attending the meeting can be found at http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-62.html
Note that any individual or company can attend the IETF meetings, even if you haven't done so in the past.  Although a small fee is charged, that is the extent of the requirements for participation.

I have included the BoF charter that was approved below, but that should just be considered the beginning point for discussion.  Feel free to post any questions or comments. 

We look forward to seeing you in Minneapolis.  

Scott

-----------------------------

Chair(s):
Scott Barvick <[email-masked]>
Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Scott Hollenbeck <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe
Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rfid/current/index.html

Description of BOF:

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a technique whereby a device,
known as an RFID 'reader', can remotely sense the presence of, and
access embedded memory on, a transponder, known as a 'tag'. Tags may be
affixed to objects as a means to track the location and movement of said
objects within facilities equipped with readers. Tags may also include
environmental sensors that may capture and report conditions to which
the tag has been subjected. The tags can be stationary (attached to
fixed locations in a facility) or mobile (attached to things moving
about the facility). The readers can be stationary (attached to doors,
walls, shelving, or scaffolding) or mobile (handheld, or vehicle-
mounted).

Recently, as a result of the development of standard RF (air) protocols
and through the application of low-cost embedded computing technology,
the implementation of RFID readers has evolved from peripherals,
typically connected to a host computer via a serial port; to standalone
devices supporting TCP/IP stacks, connected via wired (Ethernet) or
wireless (802.11) LAN technology to enterprise computing resources
supporting RFID-enabled client applications.

We envision a typical RFID deployment comprising of a network of RFID
readers controlled by one or more reader network controller elements
(which may be software in a server, embedded software in a
router/switch, or a standalone device). These controller elements in
turn are connected to hosts/servers running client applications that
ultimately consume the acquired tag data and management applications
that monitor the operation of the reader network.

This working group will specify a controller-to-reader protocol, the Simple
Lightweight RFID Reader Protocol, or SLRRP (pronounced 'slurp') for use
in an IP-based network to convey configuration, control, status, and tag
information to and from readers. This will be the initial priority of
the working group.  In the future, the working group may specify
a set of cooperating functions and possibly protocols that achieve the
level of operations support and management expected of devices in today's
IP network infrastructure. 

It is possible that work undertaken in other working groups and even
other standards bodies (e.g. MIBs, discovery protocols) will be
referenced by this working group.  It is even possible that entire
deliverables could be satisfied by the work of other working groups
(e.g. discovery protocols).  This working group will seek to maximize
the use of existing specifications where applicable. 

SLRRP Interaction With Other Standards Bodies:

There are currently two organizations that develop specifications for
RFID air protocols, ISO and EPCGlobal.  Because the IETF will not define a
specific RFID air protocol, it is an appropriate venue for the development
of an air protocol-independent framework for RFID reader communications and
management.  This is the goal of SLRRP.

Because this working group seeks to develop operations and protocols based
on
RFID operations defined in publically available documents, there is no need
for a formal liason between this working group and other organizations.
 
Members of the working group are encouraged to participate in the other
standards
development forums so that the proper awareness of dependencies and
cooperating
functions can be maintained.

Goals and Milestones:

November 04   Post draft-krishna-slrrp-00.txt and draft working group
charter
(Complete)
Jaunary  05   Post updates to draft-krishna-slrrp-00.txt
Febrary  05   Plan for BoF at 62nd IETF
March    05   BoF at 62nd IETF
April    05   Complete required charter actions
Sept.    05   Submit SLRRP to IESG as Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krishna-slrrp-00.txt

Informational Links:
http://www.iso.org
http://www.epcglobalinc.org
http://www.rfidjournal.com
_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:03:18 +0900

SLRRP BoF approved for March IETF meetingSounds interesting and thanks your good effort.

Mostly, this BoF seems like a LWAPP (Light-Weight Access Point Protocol)
for managing of AP in 802.11 environment. and especially AP is
replaced with RFID Reader. Anyway, it's interesting work for me. 

In my understanding, problem statements (and/or goal) should
be done as quick as we can along with the charter of this BoF,
because almost people don't know of why this work as BoF is
needed for us. SLRRP is a solution not problem statement. So
I'd suggest the problem statements would be shown prior to
emphasizing SLRRP. 

My 2 cents.

See you in Minneapolis 

Thanks. 
     Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
     Mobile Platform Lab. Samsung Electronics. 

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scott Barvick
  Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 12:10 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [Rfid] SLRRP BoF approved for March IETF meeting

  Scott

  Chair(s):

  Mailing Lists:

  Description of BOF:

  Goals and Milestones:

  Internet-Drafts:

  Informational Links:
  http://www.iso.org

---

From: Scott Barvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:32:43 -0500

Daniel,

Thanks for your comments.  I also find important similarities between
the goals of this effort and those of CAPWAP and LWAPP, particularly in
the area of a control protocol between upstream AR functionality and the
downstream devices that perform the actual air protocol data and control
operations.  The 'plugin' support for different air protocols at the AR
is also similar in concept and spec to the SLRRP support for different
air protocols.  

One important difference to me is the SLRRP requirement for tighter
functional and timing control of the air protocol and data operations
than in my understand of CAPWAP/LWAPP.  In certain environments, the
SLRRP control of reader parameters could possibly happen as frequently
as the read cycle.   That will drive certain architectural directions of
the protocol.

As for the problem statement, we did try to capture it in the proposed
WG charter, but I can see where we haven't defined the problem as much
as we have the vision.  I will do a better job for the BoF
presentation.  If it helps, I am attaching a White Paper that my company
has produced to help explain the history, current state of the
protocols, and how SLRRP provides the solution.

Thanks again for the comments.  As we lead up to the BoF, the more we
work out on the list beforehand, the more productive the BoF will be.  

Scott

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 01:03, Soohong Daniel Park wrote:
> Sounds interesting and thanks your good effort.
>  
>         From: [email-masked]
>         [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scott Barvick
>         We have been approved for a BoF (Birds of a Feather) session
>         at the March IETF meeting.  This is the next step in the
>         Working Group formation process whereby we meet in an open
>         session to establish the interest level in the proposed
>         effort.  We will work through a more specific agenda on this
>         list, but the general idea is to provide an overview
>         prsentation of the SLRRP Working Group goals, review the draft
>         charter, and discuss general architectural directions and
>         goals.  
>         
>         The BoF is not a lengthy session, but it is important for
>         demonstrating the interest in this effort to the other members
>         and leadership of the IETF community.  I encourage all who are
>         interested in moving forward with true standard for RFID
>         reader network communications and operations to attend this
>         session. 
>         
>         I am also pleased to announced that Marshall Rose will be
>         co-chairing the BoF.  Marshall brings extensive IETF and
>         networking experience to the table, particularly in the areas
>         of network management.  I probably won't do him justice on the
>         career summary front, so I'll let him jump in if he'd like
>         to:)
>         
>         The March IETF meeting will be held March 6-11 in Minneapolis,
>         MN, USA.  The exact date of the meeting will be sent out as
>         soon as it is known.   Details for attending the meeting can
>         be found at http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-62.html
>         Note that any individual or company can attend the IETF
>         meetings, even if you haven't done so in the past.  Although a
>         small fee is charged, that is the extent of the requirements
>         for participation.
>         
>         I have included the BoF charter that was approved below, but
>         that should just be considered the beginning point for
>         discussion.  Feel free to post any questions or comments.
>         
>         To Subscribe:
>         mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe
>         Archive:
>         http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rfid/current/index.html
>         
>         Description of BOF:
>