Subject: [Rfid] Gen-1 and Gen-2 Support in SLRRP

From: Bud Biswas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:21:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Krishna:

In the RFC you state that the RNC will support both Gen-1 and Gen-2
readers. When we send the GET_READER_INFO command to reader, don't we
need to know the Gen type of the RFC ? Many subsequent
command/responses are tied to C1G2 readers only. We do not need those
when we are talking to a C0/1G1 reader.

For that matter, should not not have the other classes of tags as well
?

thanks

Bud
Polaris Networks
RFID Test Tools Group

_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid

---

From: "P. Krishna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:30:31 -0400

> when we are talking to a C0/1G1 reader.

Bud,
First off, the draft proposal is not an RFC yet.
 
The protocol proposal defines the bits that go over the wire - it does
not define the reader architecture or the RNC architecture. The question
I think you are asking is how does the RNC know the capabilities of the
reader - specifically, the air protocols supported by the reader. In the
Get_reader_info command, there is a parameter called "reader
capabilities". Its encoded using a 32 bit vector - we intend to use the
bits in that field to communicate the protocol capabilities of the
reader. We have defined some bits for 

> For that matter, should not not have the other classes of tags as well
Yes, ultimately we would have the air-protocol parameters specified for
the other protocols too. We currently have defined C1G1 and C1G2
parameters. As a matter of fact, we are looking to working with others
in this group for defining the other protocols. At the end of the day,
this is a group effort - we've been getting a combination of private and
public feedback and the 3 versions that we've generated have tried to
incorporate them. We look forward to contributions from others - one
obvious area is the parameter definitions for the other protocols. 

Thanks,
/Krishna