Subject: RE: [Rfid] SLRRP and SNMP

From: "Howard Kapustein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:55:38 -0400

Yes, very valid.

My point wasn't to say "0 tag reads = no data", but to point out how
'operational' and 'management' systems have very different interests and
worldviews, though often overlapping to varying degrees.

	- Howard

P.S. EPCglobal's Reader Management defines an SNMP binding, because that
makes sense. OTOH, Reader Protocol 1.1 has no SNMP-based binding for
equally inversely sensible reasons.

I forget the exact IETF specs referenced by RM 1.0 (SNMP + MIB(s), among
other things), but the spec's LCWD so EPCglobal members can peruse it at
their leisure. I guess non-EPCglobal members will have to wait until the
public (internet) posting to satisfy their curiosity.

-----Original Message-----
From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 2:33 PM
To: Howard Kapustein; Mountain, Highland M; Frederico, Gustavo;
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Rfid] SLRRP and SNMP

At 12:40 PM -0400 7/21/05, Howard Kapustein wrote:
>But if the tags are not passing through the reader, then the reader 
>is not working ~ SNMP issue with an RFID twist?
If the reader reports no tags, is that because the reader's broken, 
the tags are broken, or there really are no tags to read?

I'd expect 0 tag reads for a reader monitoring a dock door if nothing 
goes thru the dock door.

I actually think that there will be people who want to monitor a 
count of the tag reads performed by a reader, or on a particular 
antenna.

If there is a counter available for that purpose, it can also be used 
for threshhold alarms -- turn the reader icon red if it hasn't read 
any tags in the past 10 minutes, for example.

When combined with other sensors (electric eyes, sensors that detect 
when doors are open, motion sensors, etc.), it might also be possible 
to generate a more serious alarm if the reader should be reading 
tags, but isn't (i.e. when items are passing by and/or the door is 
open).

I would consider all of those items to fall under management or 
monitoring, and I think that SNMP is a better technology for that 
purpose than a proprietary protocol.

Margaret

_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid

---

From: Scott Barvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:53:59 -0400

I think we are in violent agreement on the general need for a basic RFID
reader MIB.  The proposed charter for the CAIRO WG:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rfid/current/msg00159.html

describes efforts following completion of SLRRP to work on device
monitoring among other things.   To me, a MIB is a one of those efforts,
and that MIB would have the type of information that is being
discussed.  

And, before anyone jumps on me :), note that the last paragraph in the
list of futures for the CAIRO WG says that it is possible that work
(e.g. a MIB) developed in other groups could be simply referenced if
that is what the group wants to do.

Scott