Subject: [rip] Version Number Processing

From: Joseph Scholefield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:59:25 -0500

Hello,

We have encountered a number of scenarios which are not too clearly
described in the RIP 2 Specification, RFC2453. We are concerned with how
a RIP Router should handle the reception of RIP Version 3 packets
(anything greater than 2).

Section 5 states
As a V1 Router:
 - Version 1 packets with MBZ with non-zero fields are to be ignored
 - Version >1 packets with MBZ with non-zero fields are not to be
ignored "simply because an MBZ field contains a value other than zero."

Does this hold true as a V2 Router?

So, does a version 2 router process, or drop, a version 3 RIP packet?
Should this packet be a Request, should a RIP Router then respond with a
Version 3 Response?

I have read through the RFC and have not come up with any clear answer
to the expected behavior. If you could direct me to specific quotes in
the RFC that will tell me what a router should do, I would appreciate
it.

Thanks,

Joe Scholefield

_______________________________________________
rip mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rip