Subject: [RTG-DIR] RtgDir review of draft-ietf-isis-layer2-08.txt

From: mike shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:50:37 +0000

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft. 
The Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related 
drafts as they pass through IETF last call and IESG review. The purpose 
of the review is to provide assistance to the Routing ADs. For more 
information about the Routing Directorate, please see 
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/routing.html

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it 
would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF 
Last Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through 
discussion or by updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-isis-layer2-08.txt
Reviewer: Mike Shand
Review Date: 2010-12-06
IETF LC End Date: 2010-12-14
Intended Status: proposed standard

*Summary:*

I have some minor concerns about this document that I think should be 
resolved before publication.

*Comments: *

The document is well written and structured, and generally conforms to 
the conventional definition of IS-IS TLVs.

*Major Issues:*

No major issues found.

*Minor Issues:

*
General

For compatibility with the TRILL IS-IS document, perhaps the occurrences 
of the phrase
"Must be sent as (or set to) zero on transmission and is ignored on 
receipt."
should be replaced by "MUST be sent as zero and ignored on receipt".

In any case, the "must" should always be a "MUST".

2.1.  The MAC-Reachability TLV

Although it is obvious, perhaps it should say that the TLV can be 
carried multiple times in an LSP and in multiple LSPs.

6.  References

Should there not be references to the TRILL and 802.1aq IS-IS specific 
specs?

*Nits:
*

Abstract

This document specifies the IS-IS extensions necessary to support
    link state routing to any protocols running directly over layer 2.

->link state routing for any ....

*
*