Subject: [RTG-DIR] defining signaling parameters for GMPLS

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 10:20:45 +0000

The TEAS WG is producing a te-types I-D which contains definitions, in
YANG form, for many of the signaling parameters used by GMPLS.

Meanwhile, the LSR WG has a need to defind the signaling parameters used
for TE and so has created its own definitions thereof.

There is an expired I2RS I-D with similar definitions.

Perhaps, in future, the MPLS or CCAMP WG will also find a need to define
these parameters and create their own definitions.

Meanwhile, these parameters have, for over 15 years, been registered
with IANA.

Defining things good, defining things in standards multiple times, not
so good.

I think there is a need for these parameters, some, although perhaps not
all, of

http://www.iana.org/assignments/gmpls-sig-parameters/gmpls-sig-parameter
s.xhtml#gmpls-sig-parameters-3

to be turned into a YANG module for all WG to use.  Such an exercise has
been successfully carried out by the NETMOD WG for interface definitions
(RFC7224).

Tom Petch

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:51:04 -0500

Tom,

Good catch!

I'll talk this over with the various co chairs and come back with a 
suggestion on how to reconcile the LSR and TEAS drafts.

Lou

(TEAS Co-chair)

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 12:51:05 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Berger" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 11:51 AM

> suggestion on how to reconcile the LSR and TEAS drafts.

Well, yes, but bear in mind that we have these values defined in IANA
and, for me, definitions in IANA should take precedence, ie the best,
the only solution for me is an IANA-maintained YANG module e.g.
iana-gmpls-param

Also, what I am hinting is that while the expertise of the routing area
is need to say what needs defining, NETMOD has the greater expertise of
turning that into a YANG module ie a two-stage process.

Tom Petch

> _______________________________________________
> rtgwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg