Subject: [saag] Sean's 1st AD Notes for 2010-04

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 22:23:02 -0400

Here's my 1st attempt at continuing Pasi's much liked monthly AD 
notes.  It's a short status update about what things are going on from
my point-of-view. If you notice anything that doesn't look right, let
me know -- miscommunication and mix-ups do happen.

Pasi had a clock going on many of these.  I'm going to restart the 
clock.  Oh and the date format is YYYY-MM-DD.  Also these were written 
as of 2010-05-01 and things have happened since then.

Cheers,
spt

MISC NOTES

- Reviewed SAAG meeting minutes (Thanks Tero for the draft).

- IETF 78 planning with Tim: SAAG presentations.

- Arranged weekly call with Tim.

- Learning just how much I'm going to rely on SECDIR reviews.

- Reviewed draft-iab-auth-mech and provided lots of comments.

- ~100 errata received from Constantin Hagemeier on RFC 3447, RFC 4301
   RFC 4302, RFC 4306, and RFC 4880.  Will rely on authors to help
   resolve these.

- Errata 762, 1609, 1620, 1840, 2090, 2089, 2090, 2089, 2088, 2087,
   Held for Document Update (HFDU).

- Errata 1886, 1812, 1676, 1839, and 1886 verified.

- Errata 1480 rejected.

WORKING GROUPS

DKIM

- draft-ietf-dkim-deployment: In AUTH48.  RFC editor is waiting for
   authors to respond to questions.  2010-04-30.

- A ton of email that I haven't gotten all the way through.

- Errata 1532 and 1596: Awaiting WG chairs proposal for new text and
   recommended status. 2010-05-05.

EMU

- WG chairs submitted/delivered response to ITU-T X.1034 liaison.

- draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req: Joe proposed some text for the
   mandatory attributes section and text to address Dan's comments.
   Joe was going to publish new I-D.  2010-04-25.

IPSECME

- RFC 5480 published (was draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility).

- draft-ietf-ipsecme-aes-ctr-ikev2 completed last call and is on
   the 2010-05-06 IESG telechat.

- draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis: On 2010-05-06 IESG telechat.

- draft-ietf-ipsecme-roadmap: Authors told me they're almost done
   with their edits.  Will post new version in early 2010-05.
   Expecting to IETF LC the document in 2010-05.

- draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsec-ha: Revised.

- draft-ietf-ipsecme-eap-mutual: Revised.

- (not a WG item and it happened in 2010-03)
   draftdraft-sheffer-ipsecme-pake-criteria-02.txt: Fair amount of
   discussion about definition of gateway.

ISMS

- draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm: Added to 2010-05-06 IESG telechat.

- draft-ietf-isms-radius-vacm: Need to get this one moving again.

KEYPROV (I know it's Tim's but I am following it closely)

- draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp: Completed IETF LC. Dealt with GEN-Art
   comments.  Placed on 2010-05-06 IESG telechat.  Began dealing with
   AD DISCUSS/COMMENT positions.

- draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc: Completed IETF LC. Placed on 2010-05-06
   IESG telechat.

- draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat: Completed IETF LC. Placed on
   2010-05-06 IESG telechat.  Began dealing with AD DISCUSS/COMMENT
   positions.

SASL

- draft-ietf-sasl-gs2 and draft-ietf-sasl-scram: in RFC editor
   queue, waiting for draft-altman-tls-channel-bindings.

- (not WG item) draft-altman-tls-channel-bindings: Entered COMMENT
   position.  Authors extremenly responsive and all were resolved
   a week before the 2010-05-06 IESG telechat.

SYSLOG

- draft-ietf-syslog-sign: RFC editor is waiting for
   J. Kelsey to respond.  I have also pinged him via email.  Next step
   is a phone call. 2010-05-05.

- draft-ietf-syslog-dtls: Provided AD comments.   Awaiting new
   version before issuing IETF LC.

TLS

- draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis: Need to get this one moving. Still
   waiting on WG chairs/editor to drive discussion/propose text
   about the following topics (same as from Pasi's last email):

   1) The "server_name" extension contains a list of domain names.
   Apparently, existing clients only send one, and some servers ignore
   everything except the first one. Since it seems nobody is using
   multiple names (and there are some unclear aspects about their exact
   semantics), perhaps the spec should just forbid more than one name
   of same "name_type"?

   2) The document probably should be clearer about how "server_name"
   and session resumption interact (or do not interact). In particular,
   are Session IDs scoped by "server_name"?  (If they are, the client
   MUST send the same "server_name" when resuming a session.) If they
   are not, does the server ignore the "server_name" when it resumes
   the session (in case the "server_name" in the original session
   was different) or not?

   IMHO RFC 4366 is quite clear that "server_name" is completely
   ignored when the server resumes a session (so Session IDs are not
   scoped by "server_name", and the server does not check it against
   the original session), but perhaps it doesn't hurt to clarify this
   with some new text.

   3) As noted in Stephen Farrell's SecDir review
   (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg01195.html),
   the document probably should explain why SHA-1 is OK and algorithm
   agility is not needed.  Tim and I have agreed with the WG that this
   use of SHA-1 (without algorithm agility) is acceptable.
   "trusted_ca_keys" clearly does not need a cryptographic
   function, and client_certificate_url does not seem to be affected by
   collisions either (and this extension is rarely used, so creating a
   new extension with agility is not really useful work).

   4) Joe thought the WG should also consider whether the renegotiation
   fix has any effect on the "server_name" extension. I don't think it
   necessarily does (beyond the one sentence that's already in RFC
   5746).

- draft-ietf-tls-cached-info: New version posted.

OTHER DOCUMENTS

- draft-hoffman-tls-additional-random-ext: Initiated IETF LC.  Lots of
   discussion.

- draft-hoffman-tls-master-secret-input: Initiated IETF LC.  Some
   discussion, but not nearly as much as
   draft-hoffman-tls-additional-random-ext.

DISCUSSES

- draft-ietf-avt-register-srtp: Awaiting response from Robert wrt his
   discussions with Cullen. 2010-04-22.

- draft-ietf-bmwg-ipsec-meth: I picked up Pasi's DISCUSS.  2010-04-08.

- draft-ietf-bmwg-ipsec-term: I picked up Pasi's DISCUSS.  2010-03-31.

- draft-ietf-csi-hash-threat: I picked up Pasi's DISCUSS.  2010-04-08.

- draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery: Tim picked up Pasi's DISCUSS, but
   we're both working with the authors and the AD to resolve this one.

- draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework: Waiting for revised I-D.
   2010-04-22.

- draft-cheshire-dnsext-nbp: I picked up part of Pasi's DISCUSS and
   Russ picked up the rest.