Subject: [saag] PKIX WG meeting summary

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:56:08 -0400

PKIX WG Meeting Summary

There has been significant document progress since Anaheim:
-	5 RFCs published since Anaheim: 5816, 5877, 5912, 5913, 5914
-	1 document in the RFC Editor's queue: TAMP (the protocol)
-	4 documents in IESG processing: ASN.1 translation, OCSP 
agility, TAM requirements, certificate image
-	2 I-Ds in process in the WG: CMC Updates, 5280 clarifications
-	2 non-WG documents under consideration: updating AKI and SKI, 
Transport protocols for CMP

The OCSP agility document requires changes to fix typos in the ASN.1, 
and a fix of how to specify signature algorithms. So, the document 
will be revised, undergo a quick WG last call, and be re-forwarded to 
the IESG, where Tim promises speed processing.

The 5280 clarifications document has completed WGLC and is almost 
ready for forwarding to the IESG.

The OCSP update (clarification) entails so many changes that the 
resulting document  is expected to obsolete 2560, even though there 
is no intent to make changes that are not backward compatible, etc.

There was a very brief presentation on how to make it clear to 
developers that it's OK to use other hash algorithms (not just SHA-1) 
to compute key identifiers (i.e., SKI & AKI). This may become a WG 
item.

The final presentation was a request to resurrect a dead I-D that 
defines how to transport CMP, especially over HTTP. The 3GPP folks 
are using CMP (vs. CMC) for certificate management functions, and 
want a stable, unambiguous standard.  This is likely to become a new 
WG item.