Subject: [saag] Sean's AD Notes 2010-10-08

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 17:02:55 -0400

These notes are identical (minus the wiki links) to those posted on: 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/sec/trac/wiki/SeansMonthlyUpdate. 
Note that there's also a blog with an RSS feed at: 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/sec/trac/blog

= Sean Turner's Monthly AD Notes - 2010-10-08 =

Here's my not-so-monthly AD notes. It's a short status update about 
what things are going on from my point-of-view. If you notice anything 
that doesn't look right, let me know -- miscommunication and mix-ups 
do happen.

== MISC NOTES ==

  * IAB/IESG Joint Design Session on Forwarding Plane Operations, 
Administration and Maintenance to be held Oct 12-15 at George Mason 
University in Fairfax, Virginia, USA.  Initial announcement can be 
found here: 
https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=934&k2=8272&tid=1286570995. 
  Dedicated mailing list info can be found here: 
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oam.

  * IAB/W3C/ISOC/MIT Internet Privacy Workshop on Dec 8-9 at MIT, 
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.  Initial announcement can be found 
here: 
https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=934&k2=8382&tid=1286571183.

  * IETF 79 planning continues with Tim: SAAG presentations.

  * Participated in weekly calls with Tim.

  * Tim and I resolved a couple hundred errata. There were so many 
because more than one was multi-part and we had to split them apart. 
We could not have done this without the help of the document authors. 
Many thanks! FYI, here's a break down of the errata by Area: 21 - 
Applications, 0 - General, 175 - Internet, 26 - Operations & 
Management, 56 - Real-time Applications & Infrastructure, 99 - 
Routing, 9 - Security, and 43 - Transport.

== WORKING GROUPS ==

=== DKIM ===

  * draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists: Has been revised a couple of times. 
LOTS of email on the DKIM list.

  *  draft-ietf-dkim-4871bis: Has been posted and revised a couple of 
times. Currently in WG LC that ends 2010-10-22.

  * draft-ietf-dkim-implementation-report: Has been posted a revised a 
couple of times. Currently in WG LC that ends 2010-10-22.

  * Errata 1532 and 1596: Determined that these should be hold for 
document update (HFDU).

NOTE: The implementation report contains data on over 2 billion (and 
yes that's a "b") messages. I personally think progressing RFC 4871 to 
PS should be a slam dunk. The implementation report won't be published 
as an RFC, but will instead live on here: 
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation-report.html. The 
implementation report will be referenced in the IETF LC for 4871bis

=== EMU ===

  * draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req: Waiting for proto write-up. Since 
2010-07-13.

  * draft-ietf-emu-chbind: Expecting a new version before IETF 79.

IPSECME

  * RFC5930 (was draft-ietf-ipsecme-aes-ctr-ikev2) published.

  * RFC5996 (was draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis) published.

  * RFC5998 (was draft-ietf-ipsecme-eap-mutual) published.

  * draft-ietf-ipsecme-roadmap: In RFC editor queue
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-ipsecme-roadmap).

  * draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsec-ha: In RFC editor queue
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsec-ha).

  * draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsecha-protocol: Initial version posted.

  * draft-ietf-ipsecme-failure-detection-00: Initial version posted

A related non-WG item:

  *  draft-nir-ipsecme-childless: Was from the Independent Stream. In 
RFC editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-nir-ipsecme-childless)

=== ISMS ===

  * RFC5953 (was draft-ietf-isms-dtls-tm) published.

  * draft-ietf-isms-radius-vacm: In RFC editor queue
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-isms-radius-vacm).

=== KEYPROV ===

(I know it's Tim's but I am following it closely)

  *  draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp: In RFC editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp).

  *  draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc: In RFC editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc).

  *  draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat: In RFC editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-keyprov-symmetrickeyformat). 

=== LTANS ===

(This is Tim's, but I thought it of interest)

  * draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers: Has passed WG LC and will be forwarded to 
Tim soon.

If the authors wish to progress the remaining drafts 
(draft-ietf-ltans-validate and draft-ietf-ltans-ari), then Tim has 
agreed to AD sponsor them.  It is expected that this WG will be closed 
once -xmlers is published.

=== SASL ===

  * SASL/KITTEN merged.

=== SMIME ===

(This is Tim's, but I thought it of interest)

  * RFC5990 (was draft-ietf-smime-cms-rsa-kem/) published.

This was the final deliverable for this WG.  The chairs have requested 
the WG be closed.

=== SYSLOG ===

  * draft-ietf-syslog-dtls: In RFC editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-syslog-dtls).

  * Though all of the WG's work items are approved, the WG not be 
closed until the syslog-dtls I-Ds is actually published.

=== TLS ===

  * draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis: In RFC editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis).

  * draft-ietf-tls-cached-info: No updates.

  * draft-ietf-tls-heartbeat: No updates.

  * draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis: No updates.

  * draft-ietf-tls-ssl2-must-not: Initial update posted. New version 
expected shortly.

== OTHER DOCUMENTS ==

  * draft-hoffman-tls-master-secret-input: In RFC editor queue
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-hoffman-tls-master-secret-input). 

Waiting for  dt:draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis-04.

  * draft-josefsson-pbkdf2-test-vectorshttp: I sponsored this 
individual draft. It passed a 4 week IETF LC and is now in the RFC 
editor queue 
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html#draft-josefsson-pbkdf2-test-vectors) 

  * draft-mavrogiannopoulos-rfc5081bis: I sponsored this individual 
draft. It passed a 4 week IETF LC. There is one remaining discuss to 
be resolved, but I believe it will be cleared once the AD holding the 
discuss returns from vacation.

  * draft-josefsson-rc4-test-vectors: I'm going to AD sponsor this 
individual draft. I'm waiting for the authors to fix some nits and 
then I'm going to ask for an IETF LC.

  * draft-igoe-secsh-x509v3: I'm going to AD sponsor this individual 
draft.  Waiting for the authors to call it done.

The authors of the following drafts have asked that I AD sponsor their 
individual drafts. The authors requested standards track, but after 
querying the community I think it's more appropriate that these go 
informational track.

  * draft-nsri-tls-aria: An initial draft was posted for TLS cipher 
suite for the Korean ARIA algorithm. The authors placed all the cipher 
suites they could want in one document (it's ~50 suites). That should 
make it easier for implementers. The authors have requested review 
from the TLS WG.

  * draft-seokung-ipsecme-seed-ipsec-modes: They've been waiting on me 
to figure out whether this should go informational or standards track. 
As noted above, I prefer individual. I'll await a new version  before 
progressing. Since 2010-09-24.

  * draft-kato-ipsec-camellia-gcm, 
draft-kato-ipsec-camellia-cmac96and128, 
draft-kato-tls-camellia-ecc-sha,  draft-kato-tls-camellia-gcm, 
draft-kato-tls-camellia-psk: They've been waiting on me to figure out 
whether this should go informational or standards track. As noted 
above, I prefer individual. Further, I'd prefer to see one document 
for ipsec and another for tls. I don't see the need to have 5 IDs when 
we could do 2. Since 2010-09-24.

== DISCUSSES ==

As an AD, the more DISCUSS positions you enter the more work you have
to do (an fyi for all those would be ADs).

=== NEW ===

  * draft-ietf-csi-hash-threat: Reviewed the new draft and there were 
still some issues. Since 2010-07-14.

  * draft-ietf-avt-rtp-ipmr: New version posted today. I'll review it 
shortly. 2010-10-08.

  * draft-ietf-6lowpan-routing-requirements: Reviewed new version. 
Still has some issues. 2010-08-05.

  * draft-ietf-csi-proxy-send: This one is on me. Need to ensure their 
changes are okay. Since 2010-09-28.

  * draft-ietf-mif-problem-statement: Awaiting new version. Since 
2010-08-26.

  * draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory: Awaiting new version. Since 
2010-08-26.

  * draft-ietf-geopriv-arch: Awaiting new version. Since 2010-09-08.

  * draft-cakulev-mikey-ibake: Awaiting new version. Since 2010-09-08.

  * draft-ietf-fecframe-framework: Awaiting new version. Since 2010-09-08.

  * draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements: Awaiting new version. 
Since 2010-10-07.

  * draft-ietf-grow-mrt: Awaiting new version. Since 2010-10-07.

=== OLD ===

  * draft-cheshire-dnsext-nbp: The state has changed to AD Evaluation 
so it's fallen of my DISCUSS page, but I still hold part of Pasi's 
DISCUSS. 2010-04-08.

  * draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types: Awaiting response from 
authors. 2010-04-29. This one will probably be pinned for a while 
waiting for OASIS to stabilize a draft.

=== DEAD ===

  * draft-ietf-avt-register-srtp-02: Responsible AD changed status to 
Dead.

spt