Subject: [saag] Kitten Working Group Summary - IETF 79

From: Shawn M Emery <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 00:39:40 -0700

The kitten WG met Tuesday, 11/9/10, during the first morning session for
two hours.

Co-chairs: Shawn Emery, Tom Yu

The goals of the meeting were to review the state of the active WG
items, discuss implementing kitten technologies, SASL-SAML vs
SASL-SAML-EC, and the SASL-OAuth draft.

gssapi-extensions-iana
----------------------------
Consensus on the list was to standardize a per programming language
register.
Co-chairs will ask the editor again to update the draft with per
programming language registry text.

draft-ietf-kitten-digest-to-historic
----------------------------------------
Tom Yu has agreed to perform the PROTO write-up for this draft.

gssapi-naming-exts
------------------------
Current state is: Revised ID needed.

Sam Hartman has volunteered to provide text to resolve issues that he
has presented at the last IETF meeting. He has also agreed to create a
separate SAML mechanism implementation draft for naming extensions.

draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-openid
---------------------------------
Still looking for review and comments.

draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml
-------------------------------
New version submitted to clarify security considerations section to
include a secure channel for the mechanism. The draft was updated to
use a URI redirect instead of an HTTP.

Looking for review and comments.

Presentations
----------------
Implementation Feed-back of Kitten Technologies by Sam Hartman

Sam discussed some positive feed-back in implementing a GSS-API
mechanism besides Kerberos, GSS-EAP. There were some limitations and
some complimentary libraries required to perform mappings, for example.

SASL-SAML and SASL-SAML-EC by Klaas Wierenga

There was confusion on the list between the differences between
SASL-SAML and SASL-SAML-EC mechanisms. Klaas discussed the
infrastructure and protocol differences between the two mechanisms.

SASL-OAuth by Hannes Tschofenig

There will be a consensus call on the list to decide whether to adopt
the SASL-SAML-EC and SASL-OAuth drafts in the WG and to discuss how to
address the security issues associated with these and the SASL OpenID
and SAML drafts currently in the WG charter.

Charter Discussion
-----------------------
Still looking for volunteers for the following work items
initialization/new credentials
listing/iterating credentials
exporting/importing credentials
error message reporting
asynchronous calls
security strength reporting
programmer friendliness

There has been greater interest in initial credentials and asynchronous
calls. The WG should pursue these fairly soon.

Shawn kitten co-chair
--