Subject: [saag] Public Review: NIST draft publication on extraction-then-expansion key derivation

From: "Polk, William T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 11:11:09 -0400

Folks,

I apparently black-holed an important NIST email last September.  NIST has
published a draft specification covering key derivation functions based on
the extraction-then-expansion model we standardized in RFC 5869.
Unfortunately, I failed to forward the request for feedback on the draft to
this list.  

The official comment period closed October 30, but the authors were hoping
for more feedback from IETF participants, and have asked me (a second time)
to send the call to the community.  The authors have assured me that
comments submitted before November 30 will be received in plenty of time for
the revision process.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

> Call for Comments:
>  
> This is a reminder that the comment period for draft SP 800-56C,
> Recommendation for Key Derivation through Extraction-then-Expansion will close
> on October 30, 2010.  The announcement and draft can be found at
> http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsDrafts.html#SP-800-56-C
>  
> Please submit comments to [email-masked] with "Comments on SP
> 800-56C" in the subject line.

---

From: Hugo Krawczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:07:56 -0400

Hi Tim,

I included the following point in comments I submitted to NIST, yet it may
be worth repeating it here. SP 800-56C SEEMS to allow for the use of the
technique standardized in RFC 5869. However, to arrive to that conclusion
one has to carefully parse SP 800-56C as well as 800-108 and navigate the
optional parts of these schemes. To avoid confusion and many questions in
the future, I recommend that SP 800-56C (and preferably also the recent
draft SP 800-135) EXPLICITLY mention the specific HKDF scheme from RFC 5869
as an instance allowed by these NIST documents.

Thanks,

Hugo

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Polk, William T. <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag
>