Subject: [saag] Homomorphic Encryption Standardization – Side Meeting

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 23:02:48 +0200

Apologies for cross-posting.

Dear IETFers,

We would like to introduce the work of the Homomorphic Encryption Standardization consortium [1] to the IETF and IRTF community, and solicit feedback about the next steps to standardize this encryption technology. This was originally intended as an IETF-107 side meeting, instead we will hold it as a virtual meeting the week after IETF-107.

Date/time: Tue March 31, 10:00-11:00 PST, 13:00-14:00 EST, 17:00-18:00 UTC, 20:00-21:00 IL.

Meeting link: https://intuit.zoom.us/j/555682817

We do not have an IETF-hosted mailing list yet, for discussion pre- and post-meeting, please join the homomorphicencryption.org Standards mailing list at [2].

Thanks,
	Kurt, Kim and Yaron

[1] https://homomorphicencryption.org/

[2] https://groups.google.com/a/homomorphicencryption.org/forum/#!forum/standards

Additional Zoom information:

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,555682817# US

+13126266799,,555682817# US (Chicago)

Dial-In Only
        +1 301 715 8592 US
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US
        888 475 4499 US Toll-free
        877 853 5257 US Toll-free

Meeting ID: 555 682 817

International Numbers: https://intuit.zoom.us/u/aezA7EnRm

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:22:49 -0400

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> We would like to introduce the work of the Homomorphic Encryption
> Standardization consortium [1] to the IETF and IRTF community, and solicit
> feedback about the next steps to standardize this encryption technology.
> This was originally intended as an IETF-107 side meeting, instead we will
> hold it as a virtual meeting the week after IETF-107.
>

I would like to see this brought into IRTF as soon as possible either as
part of CFRG or as a separate effort.

Right now the canon of commercial cryptography uses only the primitives
developed up to 1990 (hash chains). I am currently trying to persuade
people to make use of threshold cryptography techniques that were developed
in the mid 90s. We need to get out of the habit of waiting 25 years for new
cryptographic primitives to mature before we start looking at them.

We should stop asking 'does anyone need this' and instead ask 'is this
useful'.

The other reason for bringing it into IRTF is that we really do need a
clear IPR regime or else things can get ugly and efforts can stall.

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 13:38:43 -0500

> We should stop asking 'does anyone need this' and instead ask 'is this

+1.

> clear IPR regime or else things can get ugly and efforts can stall.

I hope by now everyone understands that patent IPR on crypto == 20 year
kiss of death.  That explains a great deal of our collective habit of
waiting 20+ years to make use of new primitives -- it certainly does for
PAKEs, for example.  Of course, for some that might be a feature.

Nico
--

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:49:40 -0400

> PAKEs, for example.  Of course, for some that might be a feature.

+1

I follow the expiry of patents pretty closely. The Mesh uses crypto that
was patent encumbered until very recently.

A feature I have not yet added to the Mesh messaging layer but plan to add
is Micali's simultaneous contracts.

---

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 18:38:02 +0000

I concur:

Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Homomorphic Encryption Standardization – Side Meeting

Dear IETFers,

I would like to see this brought into IRTF as soon as possible either as part of CFRG or as a separate effort.

Right now the canon of commercial cryptography uses only the primitives developed up to 1990 (hash chains). I am currently trying to persuade people to make use of threshold cryptography techniques that were developed in the mid 90s. We need to get out of the habit of waiting 25 years for new cryptographic primitives to mature before we start looking at them.

We should stop asking 'does anyone need this' and instead ask 'is this useful'.

The other reason for bringing it into IRTF is that we really do need a clear IPR regime or else things can get ugly and efforts can stall.

---

From: Tony Rutkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 16:35:41 -0400

Hi Phil et al.,

You might be interested that there were no less than ten input documents 
on homomorphic encryption for new standards going into the SG17 meeting 
that just wrapped up today.  best, tony

TD 	[ 2867-PLEN ] 	New baseline text for X.tfmpc: Technical framework 
for Secure Multi-Party Computation 	Editor
TD 	[ 2897-PLEN ] 	Proposal for new work item: Security guidelines for 
FHE-based data collaboration in machine learning 	Rapporteur Q4/17
TD 	[ 2694-PLEN ] 	LS/i on Initial draft Supplement on Network 2030 
Services: Capabilities, performance and design of new communications 
services for the Network 2030 applications [from ITU-T SG13] 	ITU-T 
Study Group 13
C 	[ 798 ] 	Revised baseline text for X.fdip, Framework of 
de-identification processing service for telecommunication service 
providers (for determination) 	Korea (Rep. of)
C 	[ 859 ] 	Proposed Modifications to X.fdip (Framework of 
de-identification process for telecommunication service providers) 
United Kingdom
TD 	[ 2850-PLEN ] 	Revised baseline text for X.fdip: Framework of 
de-identification process for telecommunication service providers 	Editor
C 	[ 845 ] 	Proposal for new work item: Security guidelines for 
FHE-based machine learning 	Electronics and Telecommunications Research 
Institute (ETRI) (Korea (Rep. of))
TD 	[ 2529-PLEN ] 	LS/i/r on AI (Artificial Intelligence)/ML (Machine 
Learning) and security (SG17-LS142) [from FG-AI4H] 	FG-AI4H
TD 	[ 2936-PLEN ] 	LS/o/r on AI (Artificial Intelligence)/ML (Machine 
Learning) and security (reply to FG-AI4H-LS1) [from FG-AI4H] 	ITU-T 
Study Group 17
C 	[ 776 ] 	Revised baseline text for X.sra-dlt : Security framework to 
Distributed Ledger Technology 	Korea (Rep. of)

On 2020-03-26 2:22 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Standardization consortium [1] to the IETF and IRTF community, and
>     solicit feedback about the next steps to standardize this
>     encryption technology. This was originally intended as an IETF-107
>     side meeting, instead we will hold it as a virtual meeting the
>     week after IETF-107.
>
> Right now the canon of commercial cryptography uses only the 
> primitives developed up to 1990 (hash chains). I am currently trying 
> to persuade people to make use of threshold cryptography techniques 
> that were developed in the mid 90s. We need to get out of the habit of 
> waiting 25 years for new cryptographic primitives to mature before we 
> start looking at them.
>
> _______________________________________________
> saag mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag