Subject: [saag] shorthand for iPAddress subjectAltName?

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:00:10 -0700

Hi all,

RFC 6125 defines a number of "identifier type"s for X.509 certificate
naming fields, e.g., DNS-ID for dNSName, etc., but does not list one for
the iPAddress SAN.  Having such a term seems like it would be useful in
order to have a parallel expository structure when referring to (e.g.)
DNS-ID and <other-thing>.  I'm currently reviewing a document that proposes
NETWORK-ID (for "network address") but am planning to counter-propose
"IPADDR-ID".  Does anyone else have thoughts on what a good practice here
would be?

Thanks,

Ben

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 12:32:43 -0400

Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > to (e.g.)  DNS-ID and <other-thing>.  I'm currently reviewing a
    > document that proposes NETWORK-ID (for "network address") but am
    > planning to counter-propose "IPADDR-ID".  Does anyone else have
    > thoughts on what a good practice here would be?

I agree that NETWORK-ID could mis-construed, and the more specific name is
better.  An FQDN could be considered a "network address", and I'm sure there
are people who feel their @mcr314 twitter handle is the one and true "network address".

There will naturally be confusion if this is an IP(v4)ADDR-ID or IPv6ADDR-ID,
while iPAddress SAN deals with both.   I think we can live with that though.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide