Subject: Re: [saag] can an on-path attacker drop traffic?

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 14:18:51 -0500

This thread started at:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/saag/FR9WP9Y-73QZVX6Org-ciNDwM0w/

In 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/saag/wTtDYlRAADMmgqd6Vhm8rFybr_g/ 
EKR proposed:

   QUIC ended up with a different taxonomy:
   On-path   [Dolev-Yao]
   Off-path
   Limited on-path (cannot delete)

In 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/saag/b26jvEz4NRHSm-Xva6Lv5-L8QIA/ 
Christian Huitema proposed:
   man-in-the-middle   [Dolev-Yao]
   man-on-the-side
   man-in-the-rough

Many liked this, minus "man". In previous discussions of the "MAN" in 
MITM, some suggested "Malory-in-the-middle".

In 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/saag/R0uevzT0Vz9uqqaxiu98GtK1rks/ 
Alan DeKok proposed the "the council of attackers"

    malicious messenger [Dolev-Yao: who rewrites messages sent]
    oppressive observer [who uses your information against you]
    chaos creator       [who just breaks things so you can't use them]

   Adding: "Alliteration is cute, and helps with memory.  :)"