Subject: [SAM] SAM RG 2007 report

From: "John Buford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:37:25 -0500

Here is a report we prepared for Aaron Falk, the IRTF chair,
on SAM RG activities in 2007.  Please let us know
if there are any missing items or suggestions.

John & Jeremy
SAM RG co-chairs

=====================================

2007 SAM RG Report

The RG was formed in June 2006 and is co-chaired by
John Buford (Avaya Labs Research) and Jeremy Mineweaser
(MIT Lincoln Laboratory). The scope of the RG is to research application
layer multicast techniques that leverage native multicast and
can adapt to different application requirements.

The SAM RG held two meetings in 2007: an interim meeting
in January 2007 in conjunction with the P2P Multicasting
Workshop, and a meeting at IETF 69.

The main results of the RG are development of the following drafts
and publications related to work items in the charter of the RG:

- Problem statement and requirements
    draft-irtf-sam-problem-statement-01.txt
    draft-muramoto-irtf-sam-generic-require-01.txt

- Technology survey
   H. Yu, J. Buford. Advanced Topics in Peer-to-Peer Overlay
   Multicast. in Encyclopedia of Wireless and Mobile Communications
   (Ed. B. Fuhrt) CRC Press. To appear.

- Framework for the SAM design:
   draft-irtf-sam-hybrid-overlay-framework-01.txt
   A key part of the SAM framework is leveraging the design of
   "Automatic IP Multicast Without Explicit Tunnels (AMT)"
   (draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-08) by extending it to
   permit ALM connection.

- Hybrid ALM protocol proposals, including:

   Waelrich & Schmidt: The Hybrid Shared Tree Architecture
   Lei, Fu, Yang, & Hogrefe: Dynamic Mesh-Based Overlay Multicast Protocol

- Testbed for SAM experimentation and demonstration
  Participants from WIDE have developed and tested an
  XCAST router on a private PlanetLab.  This work is discussed in:
  draft-muramoto-irtf-sam-exp-testbed-00
  The XCAST (multidestination multicast) router is an element of
  the SAM Framework due to the synergy between overlay routing and
  multi-destination routing in the underlay network,
  which we have shown to have message savings of 30% in the
  following publication:

   Exploiting parallelism in the design of peer-to-peer overlays
   Computer Communications Journal, In Press,
   John Buford, Alan Brown and Mario Kolberg

The next meeting is scheduled for IETF-71. Goals for further
work include moving the XCAST router to the public PlanetLab
for use by the entire RG, and integrating this with the
extended version of AMT described in the SAM Framework specification.

SAMRG: www.samrg.org
_______________________________________________
SAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sam