Subject: [SAM] RFC 5757 on Multicast Mobility in Mobile IP Version 6 (MIPv6): Problem Statement and Brief Survey

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:02:19 +0100

Hi all,

FYI: eventually, things come to an end ... once in a while ;)

Cheers,

Thomas

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 5757

         Title:      Multicast Mobility in Mobile IP
                     Version 6 (MIPv6): Problem Statement and
                     Brief Survey
         Author:     T. Schmidt, M. Waehlisch,
                     G. Fairhurst
         Status:     Informational
         Date:       February 2010
         Mailbox:    schmidt at informatik.haw-hamburg.de,
                     mw at link-lab.net,
                     gorry at erg.abdn.ac.uk
         Pages:      37
         Characters: 92632
         Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

         I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-mobopts-mmcastv6-ps-09.txt

         URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5757.txt

This document discusses current mobility extensions to IP-layer
multicast.  It describes problems arising from mobile group
communication in general, the case of multicast listener mobility,
and problems for mobile senders using Any Source Multicast and
Source-Specific Multicast.  Characteristic aspects of multicast
routing and deployment issues for fixed IPv6 networks are summarized.
Specific properties and interplays with the underlying network access are
surveyed with respect to the relevant technologies in the wireless
domain.  It outlines the principal approaches to multicast mobility,
together with a comprehensive exploration of the mobile multicast
problem and solution space.  This document concludes with a conceptual
road map for initial steps in standardization for use by future mobile
multicast protocol designers.  This document is a product of the IP
Mobility Optimizations (MobOpts) Research Group.  This document is not an
Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational
purposes.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
   http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
   http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org.  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

-- 

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °
° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, Germany °
° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °
° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 °