Subject: [scim] Multi-Valued Display Attribute

From: Shelley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:01:45 -0600

According to the Core specification section 3.2, the "display" attribute is
READ-ONLY. It is my understanding that READ-ONLY attributes should be
IGNORED by Service Providers when specified in a request, and that it is
the Service Provider's option to include READ-ONLY attributes in responses
in accordance with the specification's description of the attribute. In the
case of an attribute such as a multi-valued "display" attribute, there is
no specific requirement other than to serve as a human-readable name, and
so it is up to the Service Providers to determine an appropriate value for
this attribute, if any. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding any of
this.

If my understanding is correct, the use of the "display" attribute for
Group members is misleading throughout the Protocol specification. The
majority of examples throughout (primarily for PATCH) include a "display"
attribute when specifying Group members. One example mentions that: "The
"display" Sub-Attribute in this request is optional since the value
attribute uniquely identifies the user to be added." However, isn't the
"display" attribute is not only "optional", but actually *irrelevant *when
supplied in the request? Should the "display" attribute and the
corresponding text be removed completely from these examples?