Subject: [scim] Protocol Action: 'System for Cross-Domain Identity Management: Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-scim-api-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 06:58:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'System for Cross-Domain Identity Management: Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-scim-api-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the System for Cross-domain Identity
Management Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-scim-api/

Technical Summary

Two documents together (draft-ietf-scim-api and draft-ietf-core-schema) are the core documents of the
SCIM protocol - a simple API for "CRUD" operations on (mainly) user and group objects associated with
Internet services (aka cloud services). The schema document defines the object model for the core
resources as well as extension mechanisms for adding new resource types and extending core resources. 

Review and Consensus

The documents have been extensively reviewed and are being implemented by multiple parties. The
set of active contributors is mostly made up of vendors and is relatively small.  Most of the work has
been done via interim conference calls, which has also made the group quite active and productive.

The current documents represent "version 2.0" of an existing standard that was developed by an 
informal collaboration. Version 2.0 represents a significant number of changes but there are already
(partial) implementations that has informed the WG. It is the opinion of the shepherd that the WG
has reached broad consensus on the specification and several vendors are getting to a point where they
could demonstrate interoperability between multiple independent implementations. At this point, the
documents should be published as Proposed Standard, with possible revision to account for issues
discovered during continued deployment and interoperability-testing.

Personnel
Document shepherd: Leif Johansson
Responsible AD: Barry Leiba