Subject: [sipcore] WG Action: Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Real-time Applications and
Infrastructure Area.  For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore)
--------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Last Modified: 2009-04-13

Chairs:
Gonzalo Camarillo [[email-masked]]
Adam Roach [[email-masked]]

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Directors:
Cullen Jennings [[email-masked]]
Robert Sparks [[email-masked]]

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Robert Sparks [[email-masked]]

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipcore/

Group Description:

The Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore) working group is
chartered to maintain and continue the development of the core SIP
specifications, currently defined as proposed standard RFCs 3261, 3262,
3263, 3264, and 3265.

The SIPCore working group will concentrate on specifications that
update or replace the core SIP specifications. In this context,
"update" means replacing or modifying protocol elements in the above
listed RFCs in ways that would affect most or all implementations of
those RFCs alone. Extensions to SIP that add new functionality that
would not be required of all implementations will be done outside of
this WG. The process and requirements for such extensions are
documented in RFC 3427bis, "Change Process for the Session Initiation
Protocol".

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic
model and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

2. Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and
integrating with other Internet applications is crucial.

The primary source of change requirements will be a) interoperability
problems that stem from ambiguous, or under-defined specification,
and b) requirements from other working groups in the RAI Area.

Although in general the WG will not work on extensions to SIP, it
may take on some previous work items from the SIP working group
to allow for a smooth transition. The adoption of new items requires
explicit agreement from the AD or rechartering.

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 2009 Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy to
IESG (PS)
Jul 2009 INFO package framework to IESG (PS)
Aug 2009 Termination of early dialog prior to final response to
IESG (PS)
Aug 2009 Location Conveyance with SIP to IESG (PS)
Sep 2009 Essential corrections to RFC 3261 (1st batch) to IESG (PS)
Oct 2009 Example security flows to IESG (Informational)
Oct 2009 Extension for use in etags in conditional notification
toIESG (PS)
Dec 2009 SIP Events throttling mechanism to IESG (PS)
Dec 2009 Mechanism for indicating support for keep-alives (PS)
Jan 2010 Presence Scaling Requirements to IESG as Info