Subject: [sipcore] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Notification Extension for Notification Rate Control
	Author(s)       : A. Niemi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2009-05-11

This document specifies mechanisms for adjusting the rate of Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) event notifications.  These mechanisms can
be applied in subscriptions to all SIP event packages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:28:25 +0300

Hi there,

I have submitted a new version of the 
"draft-niemi-sipping-event-throttle", this time as wg item.
The draft is now named "draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control"
and the title has changed in:
"Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Notification Extension for 
Notification Rate Control".

in this version we have  done the  following changes to address all the 
feedbacks and suggestions
we got in the mailing list discussion and during the last IETF meeting:

- renamed the parameter names as "min-interval", "max-interval", 
"average-interval"
- addressed the split of normative and non-normative sections and 
introduced some more normative sentences where we were lacking those
- deleted some redundant text and merged some sections
- clarified the text in several places using the newly chosen 
terminology: maximum/minimum/average rate mechanism
- added some words about hidden throttling
- inserted the suggestion we got about "not to break the normal 
retransmission mechanism"
- some other more minor changes

we haven't done any changes around the Timeout formula yet; as we do 
consider the formula in the draft just a possible suggestion (we will add
some statement about this fact in the next version of the draft);
a possible change could be add some additional formulas based on the 
suggestions  we got in the mailing discussion
and leave the choice of formula for implementation.

cheers
Sal

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 19:39:19 -0400

Just a few comments:

Section 3.1 is entitled: Use Case for maximizing the rate of notifications

This wording isn't quite right, since "maximizing the rate" means 
"making the rate as large as possible". I would propose "Use case for 
limiting the maximum rate of notifications", or "Use Case for bounding 
the maximum notification rate".

Similarly for section 3.2 (Use Case for minimizing the rate of 
notifications): I would suggest "Use Case for setting a minimum rate for 
notifications" or "Use Case for bounding the minimum rate of notification".

In general its a little hard to read due to frequent switches between 
minimum-interval/maximum-rate and maximum-interval/minimum-rate. It 
might be clearer to discuss everything in terms of intervals, since that 
is what the parameters are. But if that isn't popular people will still 
figure it out.

	Thanks,
	Paul