Subject: [sipcore] INFO EVENTS: Empty header vs 'nil'

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:48:02 +0100

Hi,

As part of the WGLC comments, and other e-mail discussions, some people
have requested to use an empty Recv-Info header, instead of a header
with a 'nil' value, to indicate no Info Packages. The main reason is
that it is more alligned with other SIP headers.

Would someone object to such change?

Regards,

Christer

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:39:56 +0900

There were two reasons for the initial drafts using 'nil.'

The first reason was that we were saying (which we very much have  
decided NOT to do) that if you received a Recv-Info header in the  
past, and then saw no Recv-Info header, the Info Package Set that was  
active is still active. This is an obsolete reason because the work  
group decided we will always say what we mean.

The second reason was to ensure forward compatibility in case we  
wanted to do something special with a naked 'Recv-Info'. However, I  
think this idea has gone by the wayside, as well.

So, I would offer a naked Recv-Info header means, "I understand Info  
Packages, but I am not willing to accept any at this time."

On Nov 10, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Christer Holmberg wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> As part of the WGLC comments, and other e-mail discussions, some  
> people have requested to use an empty Recv-Info header, instead of a  
> header with a 'nil' value, to indicate no Info Packages. The main  
> reason is that it is more alligned with other SIP headers.
>
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:32:51 -0500

I always found the use of 'nil' weird, but not worth fighting over.
But since somebody has already picked the fight, yes, I prefer Empty 
over nil.

	Thanks,
	Paul

Christer Holmberg wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Brett Tate <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:44:41 -0800

I also prefer empty header over using nil.  I had given up on the issue in March; thus I didn't raise the issue again during the recent WGLC.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Paul Kyzivat
> Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:33 PM
> To: Christer Holmberg
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [sipcore] INFO EVENTS: Empty header vs 'nil'
> 
> people