Subject: Re: [sipcore] Info-Event Open Issue: Header field parameter re-use

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:37:12 +0900

On 10/29/09 6:48 AM, Christer Holmberg wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Another issue which came to my mind when going through Keith's comment.
>
> Currently we say that Info Package parameters can only be used with 
> the package for which it was defined.
>
> But, what if another Info Package needs a parameter with exactly the 
> same semantics? Even if that other Info Package would use the same 
> parameter name, it would still have to re-define the parameter.
>

This has never been a problem for 3265, which already has a fair number 
of event packages defined. Note that there are other, 
non-package-specific parameters (cf event-rate-contol) as well. If 
parameters have applicability beyond an event package, they probably 
shouldn't be defined as part of that package -- they should probably 
defined in a new document that isn't specific to any info package.

/a

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:33:52 +0100

Hi,

same semantics? Even if that other Info Package would use the same
parameter name, it would still have to re-define the 
>>parameter.
shouldn't be defined as part of that package -- they should probably
defined in a new document that isn't specific to any 
>info package.

Good point. So, I will modify the text, so that it not only talks about
parameter defined in other Info Package specifications.

Anyone objects?

Regards,

Christer